Winter squash and zucchini

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
One of my favorite things about the fall season is that squashes are abundant. I am not sure about the rest of you, but after summer I get rather sick of salads and summer veggies. I add squash to my spaghetti sauce to make it more hearty. What do you do with your squash?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I love spaghetti, but I haven't heard of adding squash to it. Do you make it like a puree before adding it? How does it taste? Can you give a recipe. :p Thanks!

Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion that squash is something that you either like or dislike - as although I love the taste of zucchini and will eat zucchini with almost anything both cooked and raw - I really don't like any variety of squash or in any form either - but especially not with pasta - as that just ruins one of my favorite meals.

In fact I have to wonder if its the same for lots of other people too and especially as it seems to be so where I live - as although many, many people here grow an abundance of squash each year - which normally generate a very bountiful supply - no one ever seems to actually want to eat it themselves - as they generally feed all the squash they've grown to their pigs :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've come to the conclusion that squash is something that you either like or dislike - as although I love the taste of zucchini and will eat zucchini with almost anything both cooked and raw - I really don't like any variety of squash or in any form either - but especially not with pasta - as that just ruins one of my favorite meals.

In fact I have to wonder if its the same for lots of other people too and especially as it seems to be so where I live - as although many, many people here grow an abundance of squash each year - which normally generate a very bountiful supply - no one ever seems to actually want to eat it themselves - as they generally feed all the squash they've grown to their pigs :D
I don't know about you but I quickly tire of squash. I used to grow a lot of different varieties but now I might grow one zucchini and maybe a yellow crookneck each year. And in pasta? Not in this lifetime. Raw, grilled, steamed or french fried for me. Besides, I can plant 2 tomatoes in the space of one squash and don't have to worry about stink bugs or mildew

Reaction score
We love both summer and winter squashes at my house. In the summertime when the zuchinni and yellow squashes are abundant, I make squash casseroles, squash fritters, cook both kinds with some onions and butter, make zuchinni bread, add it to stews,,, just anyway I can think of. In the Fall we are particularly fond of butternut squash. We like it mashed with butter, salt/pepper, baked/roasted, and made into soupls. We just never seem to get enough of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I bet deep fried squash would taste good in a tempura batter. I may have to try that someday. It is hard to find things to make with squash because I do not like squash soup at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I LOVE squash. Next year, I'm growing many varieties.

My favorite way to eat squash is when I make samfaina, one of the traditional Catalan recipes I love from my country. I got a picture from a website so you know what it looks like. The main ingredients are squash (zuchini, normally), eggplant, onions, red and green bell pepper, tomatoes, and garlic. It's a great pasta sauce, and we (Catalans) also love it with cod, chicken, and rabbit. It's also good on top of a good slice of bread, and with fried eggs.
escritorio+091.jpg

I also like to fry it, or grill it, and today I picked these varieties at the store and I'm gonna make a squash soup. I love it, and the way I make it it has barely any calories. And, of course, it fights cancer! :D
100_5765.JPG

Reaction score
Battered and fried zuchinni or yellow squash is a southern favorite. We love it at my house and sometimes I grate the squash and make a fritter with it. Served up with fried chicken or fish and you have a hit! A nice alternative to french fries.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I hate both squash and zucchini. My mother loves growing these vegetables, so we always have too many of them. Last year, I had to eat them almost every day:(
I kind of like fried zucchini slices, but I'm bored with them already.

Reaction score
I like fried zuchiini or yellow squash, but I also like to coat it in a bit of buttermilk and then roll it around in seasoned bread crumbs and put it on an oiled try in the oven until it gets a bit crispy. Yum.

Ask a Question