Transpiration of a winter squash

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I was pretty surprised when I saw one of the tatume squash I have saved for winter was foaming through the stem and the liquid resulting was sticky. I got rid of the stem and, two minutes after that, it was sweating again.

012.JPG
013.JPG

After reading a little, I guess what they say in this website must be the explanation. simple transpiration :)

Why cure squash?

When you harvest winter squash, the mature fruits contain excess water. The process of curing squash allows some of that water to exit the fruit. Getting rid of excess water does several things:

• It concentrates the natural sugars, which makes the squash taste sweeter.
  • It slows the fruit’s respiration rate, which enhances long-term storage.
  • It helps reduce chances of rot.

Inspect stored squash weekly. If you see spots start to appear, move that squash away from others, placing it onto a plastic saucer. Plan to use it soonest. These spots will eventually coalesce and become water-soaked, and the entire squash will collapse in rot.

A harvested winter squash continues to breathe or respire. During the curing process, the skin becomes harder, forming a protective layer over flesh. That harder skin slows respiration, which ultimately improves fruit keeping quality. Harder skin also resists rot better, another secret for problem-free long-term storage.

http://bonnieplants.com/library/how-to-store-winter-squash/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I knew that respiration and aspiration in plants is needed for photosynthesis but I had no idea that this process went on after harvest. Learned something new today

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, I had no idea squashes could do that :cautious: In the first picture it looks like that poor squash has rabies, lol :LOL: Very clear shots by the way, I don't grow squashes but this is good info to have just in case :) I'll definitely cure mine if I grow any.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am going to echo all of my friend's comments from above, as I didn't know this process go on after harvest. Interesting and educational for sure!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Haha, I didn't know squashes could do that either;) Thank you for the information, R.R. It's very interesting. I love learning new things about plants:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I follwed and read the link. My squash plant is from seeds I scooped out of last year's store bought acorn squash so I now know not to plan on storing these for any length of time.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I follwed and read the link. My squash plant is from seeds I scooped out of last year's store bought acorn squash so I now know not to plan on storing these for any length of time.

Thanks again!
Some acorn squash is a winter squash also. You just have to leave it on the vine until it fully matures. On squash like R.R's tatumes you pick the immature squash for the summer and let some of them grow until fully mature for winter squash. Most of them store quite well after hardening off

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Well, I figure I'll give it a shot, that's if I harevest any!

The worst that can happen is one will start to break down and I can quick cook and freeze survivors.

thanks Chuck. So much learning to do... :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, I figure I'll give it a shot, that's if I harevest any!

The worst that can happen is one will start to break down and I can quick cook and freeze survivors.

thanks Chuck. So much learning to do... :)
Before you pick any to save as winter squash, use your thumbnail to see how hard and thick the skin is. The skin should be difficult to pierce with your thumbnail and shouldn't need much hardening off. Down here in Texas we have to pick winter squash a little early because if we don't the damn varmints ( field rats, mice, possums, coons and skunks) will eat into them

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it safe to eat the foaming winter squash? It looks kind of gross. Is there any way to stop the foaming?

Ask a Question