Samfaina recipe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
My 5 favorite things to grow will always be onions, peppers, eggplants, zucchini, and tomatoes. They're the ingredients I need to make samfaina, a popular Catalan dish.

I made some yesterday and, since @Chuck and @headfullofbees were interested in a picture recipe, here it is. The amounts vary every time, but this time I used:

3 onions, 2 zucchini, 1 eggplant, 1 red bell pepper (if I have green bell peppers I used them, too, but I didn't yesterday), 3 cloves of garlic, 1 can of organic diced tomatoes and 3 cans of organic tomato sauce (if you have the tomatoes from your garden, please don't used the canned kind ;) ), salt, oregano, black ground pepper, and OLIVE oil. Please don't use any other kind. It's a Mediterranean dish :)

Notes:
1: I cook each vegetable separately because it's the tradition and how my mom taught me. You can cook everything together and save some time.

2: After I've cooked each vegetable, I place it in a strainer and reuse the oil for the other vegetables.

3: I slice the eggplants and sprinkle salt on them at least 30 minutes before I cook them, to prevent them from being bitter and ruin the whole dish.
2014-10-06.jpg
2014-10-061.jpg
2014-10-062.jpg

After you've cooked the diced tomatoes, add everything together, mix it with the tomato sauce, add salt and spices to taste, and let it simmer for an hour or so. Samfaina is good on bread, with pasta, sausage links, chicken, cod, rabbit...

Like we say in Catalonia, BON PROFIT!!! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My 5 favorite things to grow will always be onions, peppers, eggplants, zucchini, and tomatoes. They're the ingredients I need to make samfaina, a popular Catalan dish.

I made some yesterday and, since @Chuck and @headfullofbees were interested in a picture recipe, here it is. The amounts vary every time, but this time I used:

3 onions, 2 zucchini, 1 eggplant, 1 red bell pepper (if I have green bell peppers I used them, too, but I didn't yesterday), 3 cloves of garlic, 1 can of organic diced tomatoes and 3 cans of organic tomato sauce (if you have the tomatoes from your garden, please don't used the canned kind ;) ), salt, oregano, black ground pepper, and OLIVE oil. Please don't use any other kind. It's a Mediterranean dish :)

Notes:
1: I cook each vegetable separately because it's the tradition and how my mom taught me. You can cook everything together and save some time.

2: After I've cooked each vegetable, I place it in a strainer and reuse the oil for the other vegetables.

3: I slice the eggplants and sprinkle salt on them at least 30 minutes before I cook them, to prevent them from being bitter and ruin the whole dish.View attachment 3701 View attachment 3702 View attachment 3703

After you've cooked the diced tomatoes, add everything together, mix it with the tomato sauce, add salt and spices to taste, and let it simmer for an hour or so. Samfaina is good on bread, with pasta, sausage links, chicken, cod, rabbit...

Outstanding!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

Notes:

3: I slice the eggplants and sprinkle salt on them at least 30 minutes before I cook them, to prevent them from being bitter and ruin the whole dish.View attachment 3701 View attachment 3702 View attachment 3703

My wife wanted to know what other spices besides salt, oregano and black pepper you used

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just those. I don't even use black pepper every time.
Also she wants to know if it is freezable or cannable. When we make things like this or chili or stews or soups we usually make a lot (3-5 gallons) at a time

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I always put it in containers and freeze it. It works great, but I don't know if it can be canned because I've never canned anything.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't have thought, having seen the recipe's cooking times, that there would be any problem in canning it.

Many thanks, R.R.. it looks delicious, I'll have to make a big batch befor my oregano dies back for the winter.

Ask a Question