Soil recipe for raised bed

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd like to know more about creating an edible garden. Since we have moved to a small property, I want to make good use of the space. The soil is not good too. So, the better option is having a garden bed. So that I can try different soil and fertilizers. Already bought one wooden raised bed from 'In the backyard', garden experts in Canada. But I don't know which will be the best soil to use. My friend is using a mixture of peat moss,coarse vermiculite, and compost. He says we don’t have the necessary ingredients in the soil to nourish our plants, retain moisture and to allow for proper drainage and so we have to use a recipe like this. Is it true ?
Can we use the same soil recipe for all the vegetables and flowers ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Tell us a bit more about your garden and location - which direction does it face, what is your hardiness zone, etc...

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Vegetables mostly like a higher Ph level so i'd add lime to the mix, except where you're planning on growing potatoes (can encourage scab)

Anything organic you can add as well will help with nutrient and moisture retention, so if you haven't already done so start a compost heap, add layers of crumpled cardboard between layers of kitchen/garden waste for a better carbon/nitrogen ratio and add wee to get it going :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have garden beds and it really helps if you live in a wet place, as it will drain faster, and really stinks if you live in a dry place because it does not retain water! Knowing more about your location will help immensely.

Our soil mix has a lot of moisture retaining compost mix and sand to help with the aeration. We live in a very dry place, and are trying to hold onto water as long as possible. We have about 25/25/50 sand, garden soil, and compost in our boxes. We also mix in fertilizer (coffee grinds, tea leaves, fish waste/remains....etc). I was also recently told putting hay on top holds in moisture and helps repel heat (again, good in our case as it is hot and dry here!)

As for using the same mixture for veggies/flowers... it depends! Almost all veggies like a very drained soil, and can live in quite sandy conditions. Bulbs, carrots, lettuces all grow well in sandy soil, and our flowers will grow in that but prefer a very rich composted soil. So it depends on where you are, what you want to grow, and when you grow it! :)

Ask a Question