Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Not mine, Copied as found:

Hao SiFu’s pork bone broth

Ingredients:

• 4-5 pounds of pork leg bones and knuckles

• 1 pound of chicken bones (neck or wings work best)

• 2 large onions – chopped in half

• 6 cloves of garlic – lightly crushed

• 1/2 Chinese white radish – chopped roughly (replace with carrots if unavailable in your area)

• 1 thumb piece of ginger

• Handful of dried shitake mushroom (pre-soaked)

• Handful of conpoy (dried scallop)

• 1 tpsn of crushed black pepper

• Several dashes of Chinese rice wine

Method:

1. Boil the bones in a separate pot for at least 10 minutes. Remove from water and rinse carefully under tap water.

2. Crack the leg bones along the middle (we used a giant cleaver) Place washed and cracked bones in clean pot with cold water and bring to boil.

3. Add all other ingredients.

4. Gently boil with lid slightly ajar for at least 8 hours (the longer the better) stirring occasionally. It will smell terrible for the first 2 hours for some reason – this is normal. I've also used pressure cooker which reduces the cooking time to about 2 hours. It's still very good but unfortunately you don't get the nice emulsification of the fats.

5. The finished product will look like a rich, opaque, creamy white colour. Strain before serving.

This broth is served with fresh noodles with vegetables and protein of your choice. Ensure you season with soy sauce or salt before serving. For example, I like it served with roast pork, bok choy and mushrooms with egg noodles.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Have you tried it,, @DirtMechanic ? A lot of Chinese soups claim to have medicinal benefits. I have no idea and seldom make soup. My soup has been anglicised - onions, carrots, celery, chicken carcass. But knowing the chickens are inoculated with tons of hormones, I usually don't bother. I did try marrow bones, but ended up with very heavy bones to discard, not to mention the fatty surface of the bones! Never again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Have not had time yet since I just found it yesterday. It was at the bottom of a post where a person told their story of learning how to make the soup stock from an old Chinese restaurant owner that had come to America and who ultimately died, leaving a son that cut the recipe and ruined the business. The author was passing along the old recipe in honor of the original owner. I thought to myself that I have to preserve this and try it, but I am not a stellar cook by any means.

@Becky yep thats it! I left out the prorevenge side of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
love making a good huge pot of Bone broth. have some frozen now 4 of them in 2 cup containers each. I avoid committing to adding the flavoring at that point as it needs to be open to various other recipes without a nod to a particular region. but have not mixed bones. usually its just turkey bones. my mom used to make a good soup using pork neck bones, hard to find those.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Wow- the price of dried scallop is breathtaking!

Someone tried to smuggle dried scallop into the UK and was fined £1 per scallop!

Yes, they are very expensive and so is shiitake mushroom which is full of flavour!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Dinner time in the UK and I can murder some NOW! :LOL:

Ask a Question