Winter or fall vegetables?

Reaction score
I am in south Texas. Winter gardens are very doable here. Try Beets, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Swiss Chard, Kale, Lettuce, Radishes or Spinach. Plant around August-September. The heat is still on, and the days are still long.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I tried to grow a fall/winter garden. I planted kale, spinach, cabbage and lettuce. The only thing that is growing after few months is the kale. The cold does not effect it and we have had a few freezes though no snow.
I also grow kale. I have such an abdunance of it. I pick it one day and two days later there is more. Is great to give away and I try to incorporate it in every meal. I'm hoping it will stay through the fall.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I have already started planting some autumn veggies, so far I have planted some radishes. Besides these two days the weather has become cooler and I had put the seeds into the ground before this last wave of heat hit us. They didn't suffer too much with so I'm happy about that. I normally plant kale turnips broccoli and cabbages in autumn and winter. They normally do well and don't give too much work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I was just about to post a thread about this very question, since I'm curious to know what veggies would be good as we head into the colder months. I've always been a summer veggie gardener, and then as the colder months approached I didn't really have a plan for what to grow - I'm hoping to change that this year!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Kale is a good one to grow during the cooler months. I could eat Kale all year long, but I absolutely love the taste of Kale that is grown in the fall and winter. The taste is so much sweeter and delicate.

Ask a Question