Winter or fall vegetables?

Reaction score
I live in the south where our winters are not bad. I am curious what are some good winter vegetables that I could plant that would not mind the cold weather. I know lettuce would be good. What are some other suggestions that I could plant?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The south of which country?

Jed

Reaction score
Try cabbages, broccoli, carrots, beets. In fact most vegetables and depends on where you live maybe even tomatoes.

Reaction score
I live in the south in the United States. Wow, all of those vegetables do well in the winter? This is cool. I should start planting soon then. Thanks for all of the information.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Most of them would have been started off earlier to overwinter them though. Although it might be warm where you are, the light levels will still be dropping, making seedlings leggy & prone to fungal diseases.

Might still be worth a go with some Mizuna, thats pretty hardy, but for most things i'd wait till the days start getting longer.

Next august would be the time to be planning your winter crops, like has been said, Purple Sprouting Broccoli, Land Cress, Lambs Lettuce, Chinese Mustard(Green in snow) Cabbage, Kale, Autumn planted Onion Sets & Garlic.

Reaction score
I tried to grow a fall/winter garden. I planted kale, spinach, cabbage and lettuce. The only thing that is growing after few months is the kale. The cold does not effect it and we have had a few freezes though no snow.

Reaction score
Bump, bump, bump it up! I wanna know if any other vegetables will grow well when it is really cold. Thanks in advance.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Brussel Sprouts, but I can't stand em:D

Reaction score
There are plenty of vegetables that you could grow during the winter such as, asparagus, broad beans, spinach, cabbage. I'm certain there are a lot more that would grow beautifully during that season, just can't think of any at this current time. Yes, you are right lettuce is one of the vegetables that will grow during the winter without any issues. To the comment above, brussel sprouts can grow during the winter as well and I so agree--I can't stand them either. :eek:

Reaction score
Some of my favorite winter vegetables are carrots, cabbage, and mustard or collard greens. They all stand up really well during spurts of colder then usual weather with minimal upkeep.

Jed

Reaction score
What is it about Brussel sprouts? I can eat cabbage and kale but the flavour of sprouts is just too much.:eek:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Its the metalic taste I don't like, some folk love them though.

There's a standing joke in the UK that October is about the right time to start boiling the sprouts for Christmas Dinner:D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
If you can keep the frost off them, you can grow potatoes.
They're grown as a winter veg in parts of Greece.
You can grow pak choi and pea shoots too.
You can also grow "overwintering" Japanese onions.

Reaction score
You guys must not know what your doing with those Brussels Sprouts, they are not bad. In Georgia (U.S.) I grow Swiss chard, collards, kale, a lettuce variety, and mustard. I am in zone 7.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I am in Alabama, and my colored kale made it through the winter. It didn't grow much during the really cold part of the winter, but it didn't die either. I also had the ramps and wild onions, and they both grew like crazy all winter.
This year, I am going to plant the kale again, and try carrots, beets and Swiss chard.
I totally love Brussels sprouts, and have never ever grown them, but if they will grow in the winter, then I might as well try growing soe of those, too.

Ask a Question