Special Fall/Winter Sauce?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I thought of this forum as I was picking out the ingredients to do my famous fall/winter spaghetti sauce. I make a big pot of sauce with ground beef mixed in and then add a bell pepper, plenty of onion, yellow squash chunks, and Zucchini and let it simmer for a couple of hours. It got me to wondering if any of you have a special fall or winter inspired sauce that you make each year with all of your fresh vegetables?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I make hot pepper sauces, jellies, crab apple jelly ...

I do make kicked up cranberry sauce too but those are store bought cranberries ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I thought of this forum as I was picking out the ingredients to do my famous fall/winter spaghetti sauce. I make a big pot of sauce with ground beef mixed in and then add a bell pepper, plenty of onion, yellow squash chunks, and Zucchini and let it simmer for a couple of hours. It got me to wondering if any of you have a special fall or winter inspired sauce that you make each year with all of your fresh vegetables?
Make a similar one to yours except I leave out the beef, and call it may veggie sauce. I also saute butternut squash in garlic, add goat cheese and some pine nuts put that over chocolate pasta.
I will do left over roasted chicken, add it to saute green peppers, or red peppers, tomatoes and zucchini. over pasta. Love my cauliflower pasta sauce also.

Reaction score
I do not have a special sauce that I make, but I really should. This sounds so delicious right now. If I were to create my own sauce, it would probably include pumpkin. I am huge on the pumpkin spice craze, but even more so on the pumpkin itself. I love all sorts of squash. I also enjoy a bit of spice to my sauces.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I usually don't do much more than cook tomatoes to freeze for winter, but a friend of mine went on a preserving bender this fall. And thankfully she is sharing with me! So far I have several jars of tomato/garlic and onion sauce, curried squash soup, apple butter and tomato /jalapeno jam. She found a small organic farm and has been buying produce and the most wonderful eggs (including turkey and duck eggs) all summer from them. I don't think I will ever eat a store-bought egg again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A spiced apple pear sauce sounds really good right now too, I might put one together in eh Crock Pot this week. If anything I just love the spicy apple smell that floats through the entire house. I make a big pot of it and then freeze what we do not eat right away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
This reminds me of the leftover sauce of spaghetti that I cooked for my birthday (October 23). It's still intact in the refrigerator and I am thinking of converting it into a sauce for macaroni. Well, they're almost of the same genre except that macaroni sauce would taste better with bits of celery. But we have no celery in the garden so I just have to buy from the market.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
A spiced apple pear sauce sounds really good right now too, I might put one together in eh Crock Pot this week. If anything I just love the spicy apple smell that floats through the entire house. I make a big pot of it and then freeze what we do not eat right away.
that does sound lovely to smell in the house. Reminds me that I have been wanting to make poached pears in brandy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I just cook tomatoes until they turn into sauce and add fried onions to it:) I know it doesn't sound great, but it's quite yummy, and I love eating it:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just cook tomatoes until they turn into sauce and add fried onions to it:) I know it doesn't sound great, but it's quite yummy, and I love eating it:D
Anything is good with fried onions. Fried onions are my favorite and I add them to anything I can get away with. We call them grilled onions here though, even when they have been fried in a pan.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't do this with any garden vegetables but I do it with leftovers in the refrig and make soup which gets changed several times as I add more and more to the base before it is all eaten up. A great way to use up the leftovers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Anything is good with fried onions. Fried onions are my favorite and I add them to anything I can get away with. We call them grilled onions here though, even when they have been fried in a pan.
This is very true, anything is good with them:D My favorite foods are pasta with fried onions, cooked white beans with fried onions and fried eggs with fried onions:D Those are the perfect Fall treats.

Ask a Question