Window farming

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Now this is interesting. I suppose you would need to save bottles for at least 3-6 months. I buy bottled water so it might not take too long. However, I doubt if mine would look as nice as the one pictured. My little bottle greenhouse would probably be leaning to one side and the roof probably would not be straight. That's why the Amazon portable greenhouses are so appealing.

ROFLOL! In that case you might want to build one using a wood frame like one of the ones below.

images
images

images

Reaction score
I think you could make it less tacky by using different containers. There are a variety of ways to create rows in front of the window using more traditional pots or even recycled food cans that have been decorated to be more attractive.

"less tacky":D:eek::).

ChanellG, you are something else : )

Reaction score
Just found this not at all tacky image of a window farm:

tumblr_m44r9aQxr61r4e9d3o1_400.png

This could be great if you could figure out a good water delivery/collection system. I'd be concerned about water dripping down.

This picture is gorgeous. I can barely tell what the view is outside the window, except to say that there are a lot of buildings out there. This set-up does a good job of making the view more palatable, really pretty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've found some interesting pictures too so I want to share. It's wonderful how many lovely gardening related things you can do with regular, empty bottles:

100_2912.jpg

how-to-build-a-window-farm.jpg

Reaction score
Obviously you didn't read the comment above that.
No need to be rude. I was just paying you, what I thought was a compliment, because the words "less tacky" were humorous to me, and made me smile, that's all.
And for your information, I did read the comment above it. I read the whole thread.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
No need to be rude. I was just paying you, what I thought was a compliment, because the words "less tacky" were humorous to me, and made me smile, that's all.
And for your information, I did read the comment above it. I read the whole thread.

Well, it didn't seem like a compliment at all, and you single someone out on a public forum and they respond you can't dismiss them as rude.

Reaction score
Well, it didn't seem like a compliment at all, and you single someone out on a public forum and they respond you can't dismiss them as rude.

I put smiling faces in my first reply, and in the second reply, right after that, I said that the picture that you posted was gorgeous and very pretty. That's all. I apologize if my first reply did not seem like a compliment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I put smiling faces in my first reply, and in the second reply, right after that, I said that the picture that you posted was gorgeous and very pretty. That's all. I apologize if my first reply did not seem like a compliment.

Apology accepted :)

Moving on...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I guess we can get back to window farming then:) . I found some really interesting pictures, what do you think about it?:

window-farm-jose-de-la-o-2.jpg

Invisible-Farm-by-MisoSoupDesign-5.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Claudine I think those are interesting. I don't care for the colored glass so much; maybe it would look better if the marbles were all the same color. I think that idea could work out well as in instillation in a commercial space. The first one could be interesting as part of a wall someplace.

Reaction score
This thread is probably the coolest thing I've seen all day. Having a window full of fresh herbs is a great idea especially if you can automate the droppers on the hydro system. Too bad my apartment is lacking windows that would get enough sunlight.

Reaction score
Just found this not at all tacky image of a window farm:

tumblr_m44r9aQxr61r4e9d3o1_400.png

This could be great if you could figure out a good water delivery/collection system. I'd be concerned about water dripping down.

This is a very innovative and creative way to plant your produces while using up your space; this is something i would really like to do but unfortunately i have a very small kitchen so i will have to pass for now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This is a very innovative and creative way to plant your produces while using up your space; this is something i would really like to do but unfortunately i have a very small kitchen so i will have to pass for now.

One thing that I have learned over the past year or so is that when it comes to herbs, the windowsill doesn't provide much growing space (let alone adequate sun). Food plants require lots of direct sun and generally need at least a 12 in pot to grow to their full potential. Some need even more growing space.

Reaction score
One thing that I have learned over the past year or so is that when it comes to herbs, the windowsill doesn't provide much growing space (let alone adequate sun). Food plants require lots of direct sun and generally need at least a 12 in pot to grow to their full potential. Some need even more growing space.

ChanellG you aired my thoughts perfectly...when these herbs start growing and spreading away the window sill wont do...especially the rosemary and basil they have away of just spreading out overtime...i think most herbs can be grown as potted plants but they need more space than the window sills can give.

Ask a Question