Crowded Window

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all! I am new to the forum and just getting into indoor gardening. Unfortunately, my apartment is north-facing, and there is only one window that gets any direct sunlight at all (northeast facing, gets a few hours in the morning). I have a variety of houseplants, but I really want to get into growing herbs, and I am also interested in growing my very small collection of carnivorous plants.

So a while back (early March) I bought two small carnivorous plants, both butterworts aka. pinguicula (or pings). They're been doing just fine in my sunniest windowsill (which is still not that sunny, but I chose pings because they don't require as much light as most carnivores do). Then later in March I decided to start growing herbs (mint and curly parsley) and since that window is the only one that gets any sunlight, that's where they went. Unfortunately though, 2 weeks ago I discovered that the parsley was covered in aphids, and they were starting to spread to the neighboring plants as well. In a panic I threw out both the parsley and the mint, and then pulled up, cleaned, and repotted the neighboring carnivores.

Now I am questioning whether I should start growing herbs again in that window. I have no idea where the aphids came from. Any ideas on how I could grow my collection of herbs and carnivores without risking this happening again? I am thinking I should invest in some indoor lighting so I don't have to keep everything in the same space, but in a small apartment it is hard to really keep things separately, and even if I got artificial lighting it would probably be on one of those stackable racks because they're most space-efficient.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Hi, aphids are not so bad if you know how to control them. Just spray them off the plant if plant is woody/older plants whose leaves will grow back, and for young delicate plant, wash the plant under gentle running tap water by tilting the plant(take care you don't uproot the plant in the process).

Indoor plants mostly suffer over watering and lack of air circulation.

I am sure you will find some more efficient steps.

Ask a Question