What are some good plants I can grow in my windowsill?

Fuzzygreenery

The Noodle Hamster
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I have a south facing window in the kitchen and I'm looking for good plants to grow in it. I'd like easy to care for plants that would grow well in the climate here... warm-hot from about 8am to 7pm and then quite cold at night. So far most of my plants are surviving it. Anyone got any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Basil and oregano are two of the best plants to grow in a windowsill, but they do not particularly like the cold. It depends how cold it gets at night.

Fuzzygreenery

The Noodle Hamster
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Right now it's 11pm and 11 degrees celsius, which is 52 F for those in the US ;) so not that cold I guess.

Reaction score
Country
United States
FYI for germinating oregano seeds: they are the size of specks and take 3 weeks or more to germinate unless you use a heat mat and keep it on 80 degrees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
It's up to you to choose, try Devil's ivy
They require less maintaining and can also grow in water bottle or try mother in law's tongue.

Good Luck!

Fuzzygreenery

The Noodle Hamster
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
@Rajesh Sethi Lucky for me I already have a Sansevieria, planning on making some cuttings from it when it gets bigger! Devil's Ivy looks interesting and easy, I'll have a go at it if I can find one or the seeds ;)

Ask a Question