Will you leave someone else to enter your garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Since our garden is in the backyard, it is impolite if we would bar house guests to see our garden. But most of the time, we confine the guests in the terrace or living room to avoid the chance of going to the garden. The hazard is when the house guests have kids, they might ruin the plants with their careless movements. There was one time when a kid picked small lemon fruits. Ow, my husband had a hard time controlling his temper.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I no longer let people in my garden unless I'm with them, few year ago my gardens were on a garden tour but after I started to find missing potted plant and had plants damage from people wanting cuttings I said no more and my gates are closed at all times to keep people out.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I do not allow everybody to go to the garden unless they need some advice. It's only me and my wife who usually attend to it. I don't like when people step on my crops. I also restrict children from going there since they may go to play there. That is why I have a gate that I usually close.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Wow - I've never experienced anyone just grabbing things from my garden, I definitely wouldn't be too happy with that! Especially if it's flowers or something that only bloom for a certain period! I like people being able to admire things but not just helping themselves!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
As I do have several gardens. Some are more suited for a person to help tend that particular area than others. And for the need to find a "gardener " to help me with the crazy amount of work to be done, I will "let" someone go in one of those types to help weed or mulch. But for my oldest and most complex, no one goes there but me.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I have no problem with someone entering my garden as long as they are not reckless with the plants. That said, some people have itchy fingers and will pluck something here and there or even arrange a covert mission to steal at night. I had such an acquaintance once. But before he could steal my produce, he was busted with a friend of his on the way to the market with stolen sackfuls of arrowroots!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
this garden, NO ONE enters but me.
GardenJuly2015.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I guess i am very territorial about my garden. I do like to do it myself so i can say its all my own work;).
I've had to enlist some help from my son or husband when I've needed muscle power and over the pasr few months have had to ask for help from my son but will soon be back into doing it all myself. Neither of them actually enjoy gardening so it's not much fun working with them. I think I've "cut off my nose to spite my face" so to speak by not asking for help with watering this summer as I've not been up to it and i have lost a few plants. :confused: Maybe i should have put my plants first, not my ego:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I love showing people my garden, I like it even better if I can give them something to take with them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Our vegetable gardens are visible from the road, and two of our flower gardens, also. I've had people stop and ask if they could buy tomatoes, squash, etc. and I give them any extra we have. I love to share (especially if I don't have to wash, peel, refrigerate extras!).
Folks have stopped to comment on the flower beds, ask the name of some plants, and if they seem truly interested I offer them a start of easy plants. I keep my roses for myself--a bouquet for a friend, but I don't give away the rooted cuttings.
I enjoy having plants and produce to share, but I don't allow anyone but my husband in our gardens to weed, pick, or prune.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I love showing people my garden, I like it even better if I can give them something to take with them.
I've just been on the receiving end of your wonderful philosophy Greenhorn for which i am very grateful. A dear family friend from my childhood, friends of my parents and the parents of a friend I met when we were 8 years old, has just given me some Evening Primrose cuttings and some Poppy and Hollyhock seeds. Lois was telling me how much she enjoys seeing them open up in the late afternoon and wanted to share that.:) how nice is that.

Ask a Question