Will you leave someone else to enter your garden?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Its odd with roses, in the soil they hate overwatering, but they seem to put on new roots when left in water.

Recon they do it just to confuse us:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never kept any of my rose cuttings in water and most of them are little plants now:D . Did your cuttings have leaves, ChanellG? They need to have at least one leaf when you plant them, otherwise they won't survive.

Reaction score
I have never had an issue with this at all. o_O

People don't tend to even ask to go into my garden. They will if they're friends or family and are over at my house already. I've never had strangers ask before but most definitely not just wandering right in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Claudine, yes they did have leaves. The leaves eventually fell off, but the stems started to turn brown from the top on two of the cuttings after a few weeks. I'd read several articles online about propagating roses and at least one had covered starting new plants in water.

@Zigs, I think the ones that didn't make it were probably too moist. I'd been concerned about them being too dry, but I should have just watered once, put the cloche on and then checked periodically to make sure the soil wasn't completely dry. I should see if the one I left in water is going to do anything in a few more weeks.

When the weather warms up I'll try again with another cutting and keep it outside. The person I got the last ones from prunes regularly, so I'll be able to start as many more as I want as long as I remind him to save the cuttings for me.

Reaction score
I have a cutting from a rose that's been sitting in water for almost 2 months. All the other cuttings had been placed in soil and cloched. None of those made it, but the one in water is finally starting to look like it may show some new growth.
I have never tried that.. rooting rose cutting in water.. I should do it.. Chanell if you just dip your cutting in some rooting hormone your cutting will survive easily.. ever tried that?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have never tried that.. rooting rose cutting in water.. I should do it.. Chanell if you just dip your cutting in some rooting hormone your cutting will survive easily.. ever tried that?

Well, I don't have rooting hormone :) I'd read somewhere that you could use cinnamon, but I think I over watered the cuttings I left in soil. The one in water is still green so if it produces new leaves I'll just stick with that method.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
@Claudine, yes they did have leaves. The leaves eventually fell off, but the stems started to turn brown from the top on two of the cuttings after a few weeks. I'd read several articles online about propagating roses and at least one had covered starting new plants in water.

Were these miniature roses? Maybe it's easier with miniature roses because I didn't have any problems, only few cuttings didn't make it. I've never heard about starting new roses in water before but I think it's good to try everything. I hope with time your cutting will turn into a big, beautiful rose:D

Reaction score
I don't like strangers in my garden. Any friends or family members are free to come and go. My back yard doesn't have a fence and I saw a neighbors kid in my back yard almost every day, I didn't want to say anything to my neighbors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Were these miniature roses? Maybe it's easier with miniature roses because I didn't have any problems, only few cuttings didn't make it. I've never heard about starting new roses in water before but I think it's good to try everything. I hope with time your cutting will turn into a big, beautiful rose:D

No, they weren't miniatures, but I think that trying to start them in winter may have been a mistake. There's not as much sun in winter so it probably is harder for the cuttings to form new leaves. The cutting I left in water seems to be okay, so hopefully I'll be able to send you some pictures this time next year!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I hope we'll see beautiful pictures posted by you:D . Do roses go dormant during winter in your area? If yes, then it probably was a mistake. I started mine in spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Do roses go dormant during winter in your area?

No, it stays pretty warm here in winter so we can have roses year-round. In fact, I've seen blooms on all my flowering plants pretty much the entire time. The wind and rain beat up on the hibiscus, but the begonia is full of blooms and the ginger just produced some flowers.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I really don't like other people missing around with my plants. Other than water it if I am not around please leave it alone.

Reaction score
I live in the country, so it's not an issue for me. Basically the 'average' person would be asking what is that, what is that, what is that all the time if / when they come in. My garden area is my sanctuary, and it looks that way. I have an umbrella, and a couple of little areas that have stuff in the ground, and pots around. And it's ever changing. As soon as you drive up, it looks like ahhhhh to me.

I do know what you are talking about tho, as a family member lives in the burbs, and a neighbor of theirs put up a pond, and sitting area so cute that people come by just to look at and chat. It's one of those 'walking' neat fun neighborhoods that people walk, bike ride and walk the dogs around in. If you are too shy to go up to it, they just admire it from a distance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
where we are located is very private, thus, not a lot of "strangers". When friends do visit, I am proud to show them my gardensssssss, and walk them around the many areas etc. don't have an issue with picking flowers, and that does not occur ever. I have had the local garden club ask to set up a garden tour of our property and the many gardens I have, hesitant with that, but considering. Only hesitant because maintaining our location and privacy is a good thing, there are nuts out there .

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am very picky about who I let in my garden. We have a very large garden, including around half acre of sweet corn that we have planted. I do not have a problem with people helping while I am supervising lol. But, for people to just come over when I am not home to go through my garden, makes me nervous. We have had many instances where even family has came over while we were on vacation and take dozens of ears of corn out of our field. I don't think a lot of people realize that we are growing our food for the winter. So even when it gets ruined or someone steals our food, it hurts us all winter.

Ask a Question