Will It Chop Them?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Like I've said in the past we live in the woods so my biggest problem is leaves.

Thinking of getting a Catcher for my Riding Mower and put everything in my Compost.

Will the Mower chop my Leaves up enough?

Thinking of putting some on one Garden and have someone spade them in.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Leaf mould is wonderful stuff. I pick m.y leaves up with the mower and the slight mix of green grass is just enough to help the rotting process.
I make a circle of a longish piece of chicken wire and tip them all in, thumping them down tight every so often. Leaving contact with the earth at the bottom gives access to the appropriate red worms, I don't know how they find it , but they always do. The outside layer dries out and does not rot as well, but I water in the middle from time to time and over the course of a year or so they reduce to about a third of the volume. By then the centre is lovely stuff, not super rich in nutrients, but wonderfully moisture retentive. I improve the nutrient content a bit by peeing in the watering can from time to time before I fill it up and pour it in the top, or layering in a little dried blood as I build the stack.
Sometimes if there are only a few I put them in a black sack, damp it down, and stand it in the sun, but I never, ever throw them away

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Never bothered chopping up the leaves we get here, mainly because it is impossible to pick them up without getting gravel as well. As Oliver says, as long as they are damp they decompose eventually.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 3 Bins I'm thinking fill them along with what ever I have.

Last time I would add a bag of Dog Food or Rabbit feed. Dig a little in the middle and water.

I have Potting Soil I'll put in as I go along.

Keep moving it around so it decomposes, then screen it before use.

I also have right now Wood Ash and Chicken Poop.

Last time I had bunch of Seed Cleanings I would use.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wood ash is great stuff, a bit alkaline and plenty of phosphate. Be a bit careful with the chicken poop, it can be a bit strong and 'burn' some things, maybe best mixed in with other stuff to dilute it a bit.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My Leaves in the Fall

IMG_20221024_131454_01.jpg

big rockpile

Ask a Question