Birds Chopping Bean Seedlings

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I planted several rows of beans recently which sprouted fine, but now that they are about a week old, mockingbirds seem to enjoy cutting them at the base of the plant. No sign of digging or rooting in the soil, and they drop the seedling right where it was cut. Any ideas on how to deter them from causing such mayhem?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I planted several rows of beans recently which sprouted fine, but now that they are about a week old, mockingbirds seem to enjoy cutting them at the base of the plant. No sign of digging or rooting in the soil, and they drop the seedling right where it was cut. Any ideas on how to deter them from causing such mayhem?
Have you actually seen the birds doing this or have you just seen mockingbirds in the garden? Mockingbirds are mainly carnivores although they do damage tomatoes, peaches, plums etc. by pecking holes in them. They mainly feed on insect and caterpillars and what you describe is the classic example of cutworm damage. I will bet you a dollar to a doughnut that the next time you find a cut off bean sprout and you dig up the area an inch or two deep you will find the culprit. There is a product called SluggoPlus that will kill them or you can use a spinosad drench

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Chuck, no I haven't seen them do this to my beans, although I have seen them do this to my corn. Also, the seedlings are not always cut at soil level, sometimes a couple inches high (basically right under the just spreading leaves). I will definitely check what you suggest though, as cutworms are something new to me. Would they also attack corn? Same plot, other half of the space, and they're almost ripe.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I have the bird problem with my corn. I use a board until the seedlings get so large the birds ignore them.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?HMGPN 22 May 2015 Planting Indian Corn
About 80 seeds of various Indian Corn was planted in an area of 8 feet by 12 feet. The seeds were allowed to sprout in water for about three days to insure germination. Seeds were planted about two inches deep and six inches apart and under a raised board to keep moisture present and to keep birds at bay.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck, no I haven't seen them do this to my beans, although I have seen them do this to my corn. Also, the seedlings are not always cut at soil level, sometimes a couple inches high (basically right under the just spreading leaves). I will definitely check what you suggest though, as cutworms are something new to me. Would they also attack corn? Same plot, other half of the space, and they're almost ripe.
Cutworms only go after young seedlings and they will attack them all. About your corn. Are you saying that something is chewing down almost mature corn stalks?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Cutworms only go after young seedlings and they will attack them all. About your corn. Are you saying that something is chewing down almost mature corn stalks?
No, I meant when the corn is just sprouting, the I've seen birds (of all kinds) cut them, although they usually try to dig it up as well. Going after whats left of the seed itself because pretty much every animal on the planet will eat corn seeds.

Ask a Question