Wildlife garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’ve recently bought a house with a small ish back garden which consists of basically weeds and mud (no lawn). I’m hugely interested in making it as wildlife friendly as possible and aren’t really sure where to start. I’m on a limited budget so will be doing the work myself. My friend has suggested turfing it but I read that doing that isn’t conducive to attracting wildlife. I have thought about sinking an old deep second hand sink and making a mini ‘pond’ and for the time being, making a DIY compost heap and also putting a small woodpile together to attract beetles, insects etc. I’ve latterly thought about planting flowers and plants to attract pollinators.

The only issue is I have 2 dogs and they’re constantly bringing mud in. I did wonder about planting grass seed but not sure it will really seed properly. Any good ideas anyone? I’d attach a photo if I knew how. Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

First make a survey of what you already have. Many 'weeds' are also pollinator-attracting wildflowers.

When you do decide what you will keep and what you will modify. Focus your plantings on native species and try to have flowers and berries present throughout the growing season. Plant a diversity of species.

Incorporate an area for some type of compost pile. Keep your biomass on your land.

Dogs tracking in mud is a separate issue. If you feel you need to create a dog run area with either wood chip mulch or lawn, then do so.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
First thing don't let your dogs go out there. We always walk ours 4 times a day and they don't need to go out into the garden.
You could look on YouTube there's a lot of videos about wildlife gardening and they might give you a idea of what to do.

Ask a Question