Spiders in garden shed-needed but how do you control them?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My garden shed had many spiders in it last year. I got bitten a few times which led to infections and a trip to the doctor for topical antibiotics. I am allergic to oral antibiotics. These spiders chased me out of my beloved garden shed! I bought rain boots last year and deet spray I put on the boots to try to keep spiders off me! I have seen many spider eggs in the shed today. I know the spiders are beneficial for the plants but how can I control them organically? I have many allergies including chemical. I had to be careful how I sprayed the deet spray on my boots. I prefer the safest most natural way of gardening. I also have alpha-gal syndrome due to a tick bite which makes me allergic to anything mammal including dairy. I also have Bile reflux gastritis which makes it difficult to eat vegetables like peppers, spinach and several other vegetables especially fresh ones. I am learning how to and what to eat to best help my health. So I don't want to quit my garden because of spiders. I want to utilize it. Do you have any ideas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In most circumstances the spiders found in sheds are NOT the spiders found in gardens. Many of the spiders found in sheds will bite and some are mildy to very venomous.. Ammonia mixed 50/50 with water will kill spiders, it will also repel them and it dissolves their webs. Garden spiders are not venomous and very very rarely ever bite people and are in no way aggressive.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Don thick,rubber gloves, long sleeves and any other protective clothing you feel is warranted.

Proceed to wipe away any webs, eggs and spiders that you find with a damp cloth. Just water, no other chemicals are needed for this.

Look behind boxes, furniture and other objects, moving or lifting them when necessary.

Repeat this process on a regular basis or when you notice that spiders have returned to areas previously cleared.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In most circumstances the spiders found in sheds are NOT the spiders found in gardens. Many of the spiders found in sheds will bite and some are mildy to very venomous.. Ammonia mixed 50/50 with water will kill spiders, it will also repel them and it dissolves their webs. Garden spiders are not venomous and very very rarely ever bite people and are in no way aggressive.
Thank you for your interesting reply. I didn't realize there was a difference in the spiders in my shed and the spiders in my garden . It is interesting too because I never got bitten in the garden where there were spiders but I got bitten in my shed. Thank you for the spider repellant/killer recipe. My shed is where I start my vegetables and herbs mainly. That's why I thought spiders would be beneficial in the shed as well as the outside garden. I thought I was keeping the shed clean enough but maybe not around the inside border. It will probably help to do more thorough housecleaning in the shed too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There a wide variety of spiders, some actively hunt others trap prey in webs. All spiders are carnivores that eat other small animals, mostly other arthropods, especially insects. Overall, spiders are beneficial in both your garden and shed, but if you are getting bitten, then regular cleaning is the answer. You could use any number of additional chemicals but it is the act of cleaning away webs regularly that will be the most help, especially if you are concerned aobout chemical allergies.

Do you know which type of spider bit you repeatedly?
There does seem to be a habit for people to call any small unexplained wound, a spider bite, but spiders will only bite a person if trapped or threatened. Infected ingrown hairs, scratches and acne could all be mistaken for spider bites.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Don thick,rubber gloves, long sleeves and any other protective clothing you feel is warranted.

Proceed to wipe away any webs, eggs and spiders that you find with a damp cloth. Just water, no other chemicals are needed for this.

Look behind boxes, furniture and other objects, moving or lifting them when necessary.

Repeat this process on a regular basis or when you notice that spiders have returned to areas previously cleared.
Thank you for your reply. I believe you are right. I thought I was keeping my shed clean enough but evidently not around the inside border. It should help to do better housecleaning or should I say shed cleaning. I start my vegetables and herbs mainly in my shed so I thought the spiders would be beneficial for the plants. I'm sure some will still get in but hopefully not get too many and they won't decide to have a bite of me for food. I will definitely take your advice. Hopefully cleaning it on a regular basis will keep them at bay. I love gardening and last year was my first year for container gardening and utilizing my shed for doing it's part in my new adventure. I was thrilled when I saw all the seeds I planted coming up. Even a couple plants that aren't suppose to grow in this area. I was in my shed a lot and then transplanting them to pots and planters outside was rewarding. Then the spider bites.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thank you for your reply. I believe you are right. I thought I was keeping my shed clean enough but evidently not around the inside border. It should help to do better housecleaning or should I say shed cleaning. I start my vegetables and herbs mainly in my shed so I thought the spiders would be beneficial for the plants. I'm sure some will still get in but hopefully not get too many and they won't decide to have a bite of me for food. I will definitely take your advice. Hopefully cleaning it on a regular basis will keep them at bay. I love gardening and last year was my first year for container gardening and utilizing my shed for doing it's part in my new adventure. I was thrilled when I saw all the seeds I planted coming up. Even a couple plants that aren't suppose to grow in this area. I was in my shed a lot and then transplanting them to pots and planters outside was rewarding. Then the spider bites.
Spiders come in through holes, and the tighter the seal the better. Me? I spray like crazy. I have scorpions too. No way I am able to clean everything. I will use things like spinosad though, just so its not so toxic and the residues are not so harmful. Neat about the ammonia huh?

Reaction score
Country
United States
There a wide variety of spiders, some actively hunt others trap prey in webs. All spiders are carnivores that eat other small animals, mostly other arthropods, especially insects. Overall, spiders are beneficial in both your garden and shed, but if you are getting bitten, then regular cleaning is the answer. You could use any number of additional chemicals but it is the act of cleaning away webs regularly that will be the most help, especially if you are concerned aobout chemical allergies.

Do you know which type of spider bit you repeatedly?
There does seem to be a habit for people to call any small unexplained wound, a spider bite, but spiders will only bite a person if trapped or threatened. Infected ingrown hairs, scratches and acne could all be mistaken for spider bites.
I went to the doctor because of infection that looked like it was a running red line. the doctor diagnosed them as spider bites and ordered me a topical antibiotic for them. I am allergic to oral antibiotics. The topical worked. it wasn't a deadly spider obviously. the doctor said I would have known pretty quick if it was. There are 4 deadly spiders in my neck of the woods. The Brown Recluse, Black Widow, Widow spiders and Wolf spider. I have seen a lot of the same spider in my shed. I assume it is the one that bit me but I don't know why. I will keep my shed cleaner this year and see what happens. I like spiders. If I see one in the house I will either leave it alone or catch it and put it outside.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, I have Western Black Widow Spiders (Latrodectus hesperus) in my garden. I am glad they are there and usually let them be, but when I encounter one located in an tool area where I might accidentally grab it, I will dispatch it for reasons of safety.

Ask a Question