Wild and exotic fruits

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This thread is so interesting! It's the first time when I see rattan fruits. Thank you for sharing this picture!:)
Are those fruits as sour as lemons?

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a great post! In the Southern USA, we have wild passion fruit called Maypops. When I was a child, wandering around in my rural wooded neighborhood, I found them, and ate them. They are so sweet when they're ripe, and the flowers are GORGEOUS! Here's a picture of one:
maypo.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Yesterday our housemaids picked the flowers of the tamarind tree. As I had posted previously, it is mostly used for the tamarind soup dish. They harvested about 2 glassful of tamarind flowers that we used to cook one whole chicken for our dinner last night. For the garnishings, we tossed in water spinach and okra to the pot. It was a nice dinner we had... more rice please, hahahaaa.
Sounds like a very tasty dinner Corzhens. I'd have my bowl out too for more rice thank you!:LOL: It is interesting to see exotic fruits we don't see growing where we live. Thanks for sharing the information. Your dwarf guava looks interesting, too. I have a dwarf peach tree in a pot and also a cumquat. I also have an orange tree in a pot which I was trying to espalier. It wasn't working very well so now I am attempting to "cloud" it. It looks quite good I think but I don't think it will be good for producing oranges.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Here is the marang which is a native of Thailand and Malaysia. In the south of the Philippines, marang is thriving although there are now marang trees here Metro Manila. The fruit is a relative of sugar apple and citrus maybe, I really cannot say. The flesh is sweet and nice to eat. I remember my husband when he had tasted it for the first time, he downed 2 marang fruits in one sitting.
IMG_4096 marang.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thegrey - your wild passion fruit flower looks beautiful!!!:)
Corzhens - this sounds like a delicious fruit, I'd love to try it!:) What does it look like when you cut it open? What is the color of the flesh?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have a plant called Miracle Berry. It was featured in National Geographic TV. The small red berry has almost no flesh and to eat is like scraping the red skin off the big seed. The peculiarity of this Miracle Berry is this - after eating it, anything you eat after will taste sweet. The effect lasts for an hour. The best demo is a sour citrus fruit that you can savor like a sweet orange because your taste bud is tricked. Here is our Miracle Berry plant...
IMG_4190 miracle berry.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is so interesting! Miracle Berry sounds like an amazing plant! I want to try it, because I love when everything tastes sweet:D

Reaction score
Country
United States
claudine, they are quite stunning! Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could just travel everywhere and experience all the flora and fauna in the world? Honestly, Corzhens make me long to see the Philippines! I think I'd just wander around picking and eating al day long! LOL

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
We have plenty of wild fruits in my country. All year round you will be able to get a fruit off the land. The most amazing one is the baobab fruit growing wild in the coastal region. It makes a super snack sucking on the seeds inside the pouch.
Baobab-fruit-AkeMamo-ICRAF.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thegrey - same here!:D I want to see the Philippines too and eat all those amazing fruits that grow there:D
Mint - hello, it's very nice to meet you:) The baobab fruit looks amazing. What does it taste like?

Ask a Question