Wild and exotic fruits

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I realized yesterday that we have some fruits here that are not common. The mulberry, for instance, is common in America but not here and there are common fruits here that are exotic in America. But this thread is for wild and exotic fruit whether here or abroad.

My first in the list is the wild small passion fruit. Locally it is called Susong Dalaga which can be translated as a young lady's nipple. Yellow when ripe, that wild passion fruit has seeds like a real passion fruit although quite smaller. It is very sweet and the skin or pare is like that of the real one but softer. Here is the photo....
IMG_4125 susong dalaga.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Haha.."young lady's nipple"! Is there a different? :) Sounds like an interesting fruit, and yummy too! I love exotic fruits like dragon fruits, lychee, logan, and jack fruit! Not sure if I have ever eaten a passion fruit yet!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
It hardly looks like you know what :p
Waiting for more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I didn't know there is such thing as wild passion fruit. It sounds like a great plant. I'd love to try those little fruits:)

I don't grow anything exotic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I like to experiment with exotic fruits to see what they taste like, the only bad part is that they are expensive here because they have to be imported. There is one fruit I would like to try, but can't remember what it is called. It is grown in Asia and smells like garbage when you peel back the skin. It is supposed to taste delicious.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I like to experiment with exotic fruits to see what they taste like, the only bad part is that they are expensive here because they have to be imported. There is one fruit I would like to try, but can't remember what it is called. It is grown in Asia and smells like garbage when you peel back the skin. It is supposed to taste delicious.

Could it be Noni. It is has great medicinal properties. It smells when ripe

noni2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
@grouie, from what I know, noni fruit is not eaten. It is only for the birds and used by people for its curative effect. But since those curative effects were not proven so noni had lost its followers here. The neighbor of my brother in law has plenty of noni trees that has no value anymore.

Let me introduce to you another wild fruit, that is the Wild Cucumber. It is pretty small, about the girth of my smallest finger and 1 inch long. It can be eaten as is or mixed in salad. Quite crunchy and with an aftertaste for its exotic touch. The wild cucumber is a vine that grows anywhere and bears fruits in 2 months time.

In photo are the green wild cucumbers which are ready for harvest. Take note of the brown, that's tamarind.
IMG_4107 wild cucumber.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
The wild cucumbers would be great in a salad. I love cucumber but sliced it does need to be added last to keep from making the salad too moist.(y)to wild cucumbers. I have seen smaller ones here but not that small so they still need slicing. I have sliced them and salted them and left them on absorbent paper but sometimes it's just way to much trouble.:confused:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
@grouie, from what I know, noni fruit is not eaten. It is only for the birds and used by people for its curative effect. But since those curative effects were not proven so noni had lost its followers here. The neighbor of my brother in law has plenty of noni trees that has no value anymore.

Let me introduce to you another wild fruit, that is the Wild Cucumber. It is pretty small, about the girth of my smallest finger and 1 inch long. It can be eaten as is or mixed in salad. Quite crunchy and with an aftertaste for its exotic touch. The wild cucumber is a vine that grows anywhere and bears fruits in 2 months time.

In photo are the green wild cucumbers which are ready for harvest. Take note of the brown, that's tamarind. View attachment 7821
Noni I know cannot be eaten the way they are but they are wild fruits now brought in because of their medicinal properties.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wild cucumbers sound like a really interesting vegetable. I've never eaten anything like it. Do they taste like regular cucumbers?
What exactly is tamarind, Corzhens? Is it edible?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Wild cucumbers sound like a really interesting vegetable. I've never eaten anything like it. Do they taste like regular cucumbers?
What exactly is tamarind, Corzhens? Is it edible?

Tamarind is a tropical fruit that is a popular farm product of Thailand. Over here, the most common use of tamarind is for cooking the sour dish called Sinigang. Like for example, chicken, you cook it with water, salt and tamarind for the flavor. And the best tamarind flavoring is the flower. But ripe tamarind, when brown, is eaten as a fruit that is sweet but sour.

Here is the flowering tamarind near our home...
IMG_4179 sampalok.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have a dwarf guava that is not fruiting yet because it remains in a plastic pot. We have no more space in our garden, sorry about that. Anyway, this dwarf guava has fruits as small as marbles. Yes, it's marble sized fruits are sweet and has that exotic taste. Maybe when it bears fruits, I would be posting the photo here.

Here's that dwarf guava tree that is already 1 year old and ready to bear fruit...
IMG_4143 small guava.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Tamarind is a tropical fruit that is a popular farm product of Thailand. Over here, the most common use of tamarind is for cooking the sour dish called Sinigang. Like for example, chicken, you cook it with water, salt and tamarind for the flavor. And the best tamarind flavoring is the flower. But ripe tamarind, when brown, is eaten as a fruit that is sweet but sour.

Here is the flowering tamarind near our home...View attachment 7830
Thank you for the information! It's very interesting. I've never eaten tamarind, I'm very curious what it tastes like. I think I'd like it:)
The flowering tamarind tree looks beautiful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Yesterday our housemaids picked the flowers of the tamarind tree. As I had posted previously, it is mostly used for the tamarind soup dish. They harvested about 2 glassful of tamarind flowers that we used to cook one whole chicken for our dinner last night. For the garnishings, we tossed in water spinach and okra to the pot. It was a nice dinner we had... more rice please, hahahaaa.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I’m sorry if I had forgotten this thread. Let me share with you a rare fruit that you may not understand at all. It is the fruit of the rattan, that fiber used in weaving native handicrafts with bamboo and other indigenous materials. My husband said, the rattan is a vine that bears fruit when matured. The fruit is sour, very sour actually that it is used in cooking meat and fish. I had sampled it and I couldn’t finish one fruit.
IMG_4834 yantok fruit.JPG

Ask a Question