Wi-fi Routers can kill plants Wow...???

Reaction score
Twelve feet from my router there are fourteen orchids, all doing well and giving me a never-ending display of blooms. Just my personal observation, BUT if one ever dies, I'll know where to lay the blame!! :)
John

Reaction score
The room my plant are living in is where my computer and router are. I have more than 20 plants in this room and the computer desk which is where my router is sitting is about 3 feet from one of my plant stands. They have been in this close proximity for more than 3 years. My plants are beautiful and healthy. I understand the researchers are students but this experiment needs more research. (y)

Reaction score
Twelve feet from my router there are fourteen orchids, all doing well and giving me a never-ending display of blooms. Just my personal observation, BUT if one ever dies, I'll know where to lay the blame!! :)
John

Hahaha, good one, John! I will do the same if my small aloe vera plant dies. I recently read more about this pseudo scientific study and apparently the data they collected wasn't done in a proper way... so odds are the results are biased.

Reaction score
If you think about it, perhaps WI-Fi routers can actually damage plants, especially when the Wi-Fi signal waves are going through the plant. A little bit of Wi-Fi waves won't hurt the plant, but eventually, it will from all the build up of waves. Too much of anything isn't good for you. So too many Wi-Fi waves going through a plant definitely isn't good for the plant.

Reaction score
My mother grows a Spathiphyllum right next to our wifi router. The plant is enormous and it looks very healthy, it produce flowers often. So I wouldn't worry:) In my opinion those students were wrong. But I'd like to read the article anyway, it may be interesting to read.
Spathiphyllum are remarkably unfussy plants and seem to thrive under conditions that would kill most other plants. Maybe the Spath is liking whatever signal is coming out of the router.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Spathiphyllum are remarkably unfussy plants and seem to thrive under conditions that would kill most other plants. Maybe the Spath is liking whatever signal is coming out of the router.
Haha, I guess it's possible. The Spath grows really beautifully, it's one of the healthiest indoor plants I've ever seen:p It's blooming now, so it looks lovely. If it grows any bigger, I'll have to repot it.
But maybe I should make a small experiment first and take it away from the router, lol;)

Reaction score
I just read a newsletter with an article containing information about some highschool students who tested growing plants near their wi-fi router. Their main experiment was with sprouting seeds. In the room without the router the seeds sprouted and were healthy and green and in the room with the router the seeds were brown and shriveled.

The writer of the article is sure to mention that of course this study was done by highschool students and not 'professional'.

BUT and at any rate...

Who really grows plants next to their router?

Most routers are in the home office and I can understand wanting a plant or two in there, but if it doesn't grow it's not the end of the world to me!

My FAVORITE place for houseplants in my house is above my kitchen area under the skylight. I have Ivy's, Mother in Law Tongues and Aloe Vera there.

...and my wireless router is in my bedroom!

I had never heard that before! I will make sure not to have plants next to my router, which is right by my front door. It makes you wonder how healthy it is for humans to be close to them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Everyday something is on the news that will give us cancer or something else that "may be detrimental" to our health. Some nutcase comes out and makes a statement, the media picks it up and before long it is an established fact. Then a little later on scientists are "surprised" to find the opposite is true. First it was dairy cows grazing under power lines and then it was cells phones rotting your brain and now it is routers messing up your plants. What's next? Rap music causes insanity? Now that may be plausible

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Chuck, I couldn't agree more. I do my best to ignore those weird and scary theories. Most of them are crazy, it's so annoying. I'm sure I'd get insane if I started reading about them, I'd be scared of going outside. Almost everything seems unhealthy and dangerous:(

Reaction score
This is an interesting study, but I wonder if the students took the trouble to control all the variables. Maybe there was a different amount of light in the room without the router, or perhaps the temperature was slightly different. Did they measure out the exact amount of water given to each plant? There are so many variables in such an experiment, but the results are interesting all the same.

Reaction score
I have never heard of this before now. Wow is what comes to mind. But is this only if the plants are close to the router or is it saying wi-fi all together can kill the plants? I keep mine in the kitchen and my router is in a different room.

Ask a Question