Why germinate seeds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have read discussions about germinating seeds, but I am unclear as to how to do this or why people do it. I always thought you were just supposed to take the seed out of the packet or the vegetable and put it in the dirt. Can someone explain this for me?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have read discussions about germinating seeds, but I am unclear as to how to do this or why people do it. I always thought you were just supposed to take the seed out of the packet or the vegetable and put it in the dirt. Can someone explain this for me?
There is a lot more to it than just covering up a seed with dirt. Seeds are different, in size, in habit, in time to germinate, in moisture etc. Larger seeds such as beans and corn are shallow rooted plants. Larger seeds such as squash are deeper rooted. Small seeds such as peppers and tomatos are small seeds and therefore require a different planting depth. Lettuce seeds for instance are tiny and require something way different from beans. And then there are the medium sized hard seeds such as okra that have deep roots but require a different method. If you buy seeds in packets it will tell you on the back an "approximate planting depth". Most often the small seeds should not be planted more than about 1/4". Seeds like lettuce shouldn't be covered at all, just patted down so as to get good soil and seed contact. Large seeded shallow rooted plants like beans should be planted deeper, about 1-1 1/2 deep depending on the soil. But a good rule of thumb is the smaller the seed the shallower it is planted and on larger seeds plant twice as deep as the seed is long.

Why do people plant seeds? Because many times you cannot buy the plants and seeds are a lot cheaer

Reaction score
There is a lot more to it than just covering up a seed with dirt. Seeds are different, in size, in habit, in time to germinate, in moisture etc. Larger seeds such as beans and corn are shallow rooted plants. Larger seeds such as squash are deeper rooted. Small seeds such as peppers and tomatos are small seeds and therefore require a different planting depth. Lettuce seeds for instance are tiny and require something way different from beans. And then there are the medium sized hard seeds such as okra that have deep roots but require a different method. If you buy seeds in packets it will tell you on the back an "approximate planting depth". Most often the small seeds should not be planted more than about 1/4". Seeds like lettuce shouldn't be covered at all, just patted down so as to get good soil and seed contact. Large seeded shallow rooted plants like beans should be planted deeper, about 1-1 1/2 deep depending on the soil. But a good rule of thumb is the smaller the seed the shallower it is planted and on larger seeds plant twice as deep as the seed is long.

Why do people plant seeds? Because many times you cannot buy the plants and seeds are a lot cheaer

I enjoy planting seeds too, especially when what I want isn't available at the nursery, or if you saved the seeds off a favorite plant from the year before. I always save my moss roses seeds, as they sprout so easy. Haven't bought any in years. I'm also gonna save some four o'clock seeds of some of my favorites I planted earlier. Those are some tough seeds to sprout cause they have hard shells. I even soak them overnight and still very few end up sprouting. Seeds can be fun though.

Reaction score
I enjoy planting seeds too, especially when what I want isn't available at the nursery, or if you saved the seeds off a favorite plant from the year before. I always save my moss roses seeds, as they sprout so easy. Haven't bought any in years. I'm also gonna save some four o'clock seeds of some of my favorites I planted earlier. Those are some tough seeds to sprout cause they have hard shells. I even soak them overnight and still very few end up sprouting. Seeds can be fun though.

You don't need to soak 4 O'clock seeds before sowing them - as apart from the plants self -seeding themselves like crazy - so much so that unless you keep them in check - your garden can very quickly be invaded by a forest of 4 O'clock plants -
they normally germinate extremely rapidly and easily and also have a very high germination rate too and although in most places where they can be grown they will germinate at almost anytime of the year - they do best when sown in warm soil :)

Reaction score
I used to germinate seeds for both veggies and flowers but do to space restrictions I had to stop doing it. Its great to do it and very rewarding to watch the seed to harvest cycle.

Reaction score
You don't need to soak 4 O'clock seeds before sowing them - as apart from the plants self -seeding themselves like crazy - so much so that unless you keep them in check - your garden can very quickly be invaded by a forest of 4 O'clock plants -
they normally germinate extremely rapidly and easily and also have a very high germination rate too and although in most places where they can be grown they will germinate at almost anytime of the year - they do best when sown in warm soil :)

I definitely agree with them self-sowing on their own so easily, New plants will sprout all over the place if you have one bush already. My problem was, since I didn't have any last year, I did have to plant the bought seeds. Soaking is often recommended...sometimes even on the seed package. I've also seen recommending that you nick the outside of the seed with a knife, just to make sure the water sinks in. I've tried this too, but with results similar to just the plain soaking...sometimes I soak 2 days. It had been years since I planted four o'clocks, and was pleasantly surprised with the results from the new seeds....a bi-color yellow/white and a bi-color rose/white. Also a mustard yellow which is very nice. I'll be saving all the seeds and next year planting them hopefully in masses of all the same color together. I have pics of my four o'clocks on my facebook page, along with a lot of my roses and other stuff. Feel free to take a look.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I thought the process of germinating seeds is to soak them in water before planting them. Maybe I misunderstood, I just wondered what the benefits are to pre soaking seeds.

Reaction score
I thought the process of germinating seeds is to soak them in water before planting them. Maybe I misunderstood, I just wondered what the benefits are to pre soaking seeds.

Most seeds don't need soaking 24 hrs or any soaking at all. The four o'clock seeds are just so hard, I guess soaking them helps soften the shell so the sprout can come thru easier.

Reaction score
IMAG0392.jpg
IMAG0373_1.jpg
IMAG0373_1.jpg

Reaction score

Although the majority of seeds don't actually require soaking prior to sowing in order to germinate.

The old trick of soaking seeds overnight - is sometimes used to speed up the germination time of seeds that are either difficult or erratic germinators or ones that would normally take a long time to germinate - the reason being - that as all seeds require moisture in order to germinate - it is thought that soaking the seeds overnight will speed up this process - as it boosts the moisture content of the seed which in turn will allow them to germinate faster - however I would just add that seeds should never be soaked for longer than 24 hours - as any longer than this will more often than not - cause the seed to rot.

However after saying that - the main reason why some seeds would need to be pre-soaked prior to sowing - is because there are some that contain natural germination inhibitors which prevent them from germinating and the only way to get them to break their dormancy - is to soak them overnight.

Hopefully this information will go some way towards understanding the reasoning behind pre-soaking seeds prior to sowing :)

Reaction score
Tommyotommy - I really don't think that Mirabilis seeds actually need to be soaked - as they germinate so easily and are neither slow or hard to germinate and to be honest in the 15 years or so of growing them - it is the first time that I have ever heard of this being recommended - especially as they are generally regarded as incredibly easy to grow.

Although I mainly grow Mirablilis for their scent - as they fill the evening air with a fragrance very similar to that of my favorite perfume, Chanel No.5. - I too prefer to grow the Marbles and Bi-Color mixes - mainly because I like the fact that every flower is totally unique - as you never get two of the same blooms on one plant and they even vary from year to year - which reminds me - as you are planning to collect the seeds from yours this year - as the Marbles and Bi-Color varieties tend to be variable and don't always come true to the mother plant - you may well be disappointed if you are hoping to get a mass planting of the same color.

Love the pics by the way :)

Reaction score
IMG_3653999216421534.jpeg
Tommyotommy - I really don't think that Mirabilis seeds actually need to be soaked - as they germinate so easily and are neither slow or hard to germinate and to be honest in the 15 years or so of growing them - it is the first time that I have ever heard of this being recommended - especially as they are generally regarded as incredibly easy to grow.

Although I mainly grow Mirablilis for their scent - as they fill the evening air with a fragrance very similar to that of my favorite perfume, Chanel No.5. - I too prefer to grow the Marbles and Bi-Color mixes - mainly because I like the fact that every flower is totally unique - as you never get two of the same blooms on one plant and they even vary from year to year - which reminds me - as you are planning to collect the seeds from yours this year - as the Marbles and Bi-Color varieties tend to be variable and don't always come true to the mother plant - you may well be disappointed if you are hoping to get a mass planting of the same color.

Love the pics by the way :)

Oh yes, the fragrance of four o'clocks is wonderful. Another favorite of mine for fragrance is the night Jasmine. Intoxicating is a good way to describe it. It's a large shrub with little white trumpet flowers. If winter is very cold, it may lose all its leaves but will come back reliability in the spring.... though the flowers may be late. This is in south Louisiana. Let me see if I can find a pic. Found it but it's posted above this for come reason. Click on thumbnail.

Last edited:

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I also love the Jasmine aroma. Honeysuckle is a favorite of mine also. I prefer to plant seeds because you can often find the seeds and not find the seedlings. And to watch the cycle go from seed to a beautiful plant is awesome to me, it's like watching your kid learn to walk.

Reaction score
I also love the Jasmine aroma. Honeysuckle is a favorite of mine also. I prefer to plant seeds because you can often find the seeds and not find the seedlings. And to watch the cycle go from seed to a beautiful plant is awesome to me, it's like watching your kid learn to walk.

Pat, see the picture I posted above of the night Jasmine. Is that the kind you're saying you like? I also love the scent of cape Jasmines which I love too. And speaking of fragrance, have you seen the miniature carnations? A type of dianthus . I have several and they smell great.... not to where they smell the whole yard, but to smell the individual flowers. Mine have survived our last cold winter as well as the hot summer before here in south Louisiana. I'll try to post some pics.IMAG0170.jpgIMAG0170.jpg IMAG0296.jpg IMAG0297.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0296.jpg
    IMAG0296.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 367
  • IMAG0297.jpg
    IMAG0297.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 340
  • IMAG0096.jpg
    IMAG0096.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 332
Reaction score
Oh yes, the fragrance of four o'clocks is wonderful. Another favorite of mine for fragrance is the night Jasmine. Intoxicating is a good way to describe it. It's a large shrub with little white trumpet flowers. If winter is very cold, it may lose all its leaves but will come back reliability in the spring.... though the flowers may be late. This is in south Louisiana. Let me see if I can find a pic. Found it but it's posted above this for come reason. Click on thumbnail.

Jasmine is very popular where I live too and although just about every variety imaginable is grown here - its something that I would much prefer to see growing in someone else's garden rather than my own - as I'm not overly keen on it .
However after saying that - I do quite like one of the evergreen varieties Jasmine Humile - which is extremely popular here and often trained to grow as a shrub rather than a climber :)

Ask a Question