Why are most plants not as described?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a sweet quince, very tasty fruit they claimed. Mmm, hardly any fruit and tasteless, not worth eating. I have a sour quince nearby, it groans with tasty fruit, I planted a plum, supposed to be a cordon on a dwarf root stock, but it’s growing so fast that it will have to be cut down. Lovely fruit though. I planted two medlars, staked properly, both starting leaning dramatically. I had to cut one down, the other is at 45 degrees. Very pretty tree though. I planted some Polka raspberries, all were small, half were disgusting. I removed them, bought more elsewhere, lovely. I bought some spineless raspberries with purple fruit. Disgusting and small. I bought a white hyssop, the flowers were blue, I bought prostrate rosemary plants, started trimming them when they reached four feet tall. I planted a Cox apple tree, the first fruits were not pleasant, this year will be make or break. Yes some other shrubs have turned out okay, lots of blackcurrants that are productive and tasty, white currants were good, though one was actually a pink currant, that’s close enough. I bought a Morello cherry, amazing fruit, but the tree is not growing great now for some reason.

In my experience half what I buy from nurseries is not as described. I am in East Hampshire in England.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks to me like you've had some interesting experiences with nurseries. I know sometimes the public pull labels out of pots willy nilly and they get stuck back in the wrong places, which is clearly a problem. You, however seem to have had more problems than your fair share. Were you just born unlucky? 🥴

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I think I would find better nurseries.

I can't recall ever experiencing what you describe ...maybe just lucky. :giggle:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I would find better nurseries.

I can't recall ever experiencing what you describe ...maybe just lucky. :giggle:
I’ve bought mail order, and locally. The worst nursery was Keepers, unfortunately it takes years to assess a tree, but they get glowing reviews, rubbish raspberries from Marshalls, dodgy herbs locally.

I seem to have no issues with shrubs, maybe because you can see what you get. My last mail order fruit trees, 4 kinds, were very good. I have a suspicion the staff sometimes mix trays up when potting herb cuttings and seedlings. Selling many ordinary rosemary seedlings as prostrate isn’t a case of a customer moving a label, it must be a mix up of an entire tray with only one label, or deliberate deception, but I prefer the incompetence theory.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I reckon then it is an easy answer to the problem, to take a trip to your local plant growers (if there are any left) and skip the online jobs!

Ask a Question