When to transplant budding crape myrtle cuttings.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Pleasantly surprised to see Crape Myrtle cuttings sprouting new buds in our cold frame. 😊

These cuttings are sprouting in nothing but sand, and I would like to know when they should be transplanted in individual containers - thinking they should stay where they are for a few more weeks before potting them up.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cor, well done for getting those rooted. They are usually difficult to strike. I believe the big trick is to keep them safe and protected for as long as possible to get them to a stage where they will survive. Go with your gut instinct I think, and pot them up when you feel they need it. Plants usually ''tell'' you what they need, and when they need it.
If they rooted so well just in sand, I think it seems as if they need similar treatment as @zigs cactus. Those root in just grit!!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Well done @lifegardener (y)

I root cacti in pure grit, saves them rotting off while sitting in damp compost.

Some folk leave them in the grit and just add feed to the water, like hydroponics.

Here's one I did earlier 😁

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Cor, well done for getting those rooted. They are usually difficult to strike. I believe the big trick is to keep them safe and protected for as long as possible to get them to a stage where they will survive. Go with your gut instinct I think, and pot them up when you feel they need it. Plants usually ''tell'' you what they need, and when they need it.
If they rooted so well just in sand, I think it seems as if they need similar treatment as @zigs cactus. Those root in just grit!!
Great idea - and common sense thinking - thank you. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Well done @lifegardener (y)

I root cacti in pure grit, saves them rotting off while sitting in damp compost.

Some folk leave them in the grit and just add feed to the water, like hydroponics.

Here's one I did earlier 😁

Great video. Love your sense of humor . . . ["And Let That Be A Lesson To Ya "] . . . :)

Last edited:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Great video. Love your sense of humor . . . ["And Let That Be A Lesson To Ya "] . . . :)

Thank you Lifegardener 😁

I've not grown Crape Myrtle but I did try Bog Myrtle when I lived in Wales, it loved the acidic bogs up there.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@lifegardener Are your cuttings from a tree variety or a shrubby myrtle? The trees grow well in Australia, but I believe that now a smaller plant (for a large pot) has been bred that we may be able to grow here in the UK.
The trees are magnificent - both leaves and flowers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
@lifegardener Are your cuttings from a tree variety or a shrubby myrtle? The trees grow well in Australia, but I believe that now a smaller plant (for a large pot) has been bred that we may be able to grow here in the UK.
The trees are magnificent - both leaves and flowers.
Enduring Summer - A red bush-like crape myrtle variety.

Ask a Question