When the travel bug bites you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Looks like we will be heading back down to New Bern, NC end of September, they have a seafood festival which sounds awesome. Just gathering extra supplies for the house as my ESP /inventory tells me. Hopefully the new plants we planted survived. And November off to Virginia beach again for a car show. This time we are invited, and all expenses paid, neat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
We were just up at a huge Car show upper state New Jersey, for the weekend. Waited to see if "better video " guys would down load on You Tube and they did. I am not too good on the cut/paste thing with video's so here it is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Another car show we will be attending is mid November ---Virginia Beach. We have been asked to show up with our car, hotel stay and mileage will be paid for, as we are considered guests and Sasha one of the main attractions. Our builder and my husband has been working on further needs of Sasha to make her even more awesome. It is her underside that needed attention, and a few other things the builder has to get his hands on. At this point the builder is busy with another car, Sasha is in line to go in next. Fingers cross she gets in, or we might have to cancel.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The tour company has been in contact with the Missus and say things have quietened down in Sri Lanka enough that the tour they cancelled is back on. She has paid her deposit and I shall have a couple of weeks to myself.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've got cabin fever but still don't feel comfortable going where there are many people. Too old to run from a shooter, too old to risk catching any viruses. Also long ago became bored with the usual tourist attractions.

Camping sounds good! I'm in VA near eastern WV mountains. I like to go looking for wild food. Hackberries ripe soon!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
The tour company has been in contact with the Missus and say things have quietened down in Sri Lanka enough that the tour they cancelled is back on. She has paid her deposit and I shall have a couple of weeks to myself.
Good for her. I enjoy traveling by myself. Need to plan something again soon. Last summer husband was away fishing in Florida for 2 months, simply enjoyed aloneness, and lost some weight also. did not have to cook so much .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I've got cabin fever but still don't feel comfortable going where there are many people. Too old to run from a shooter, too old to risk catching any viruses. Also long ago became bored with the usual tourist attractions.

Camping sounds good! I'm in VA near eastern WV mountains. I like to go looking for wild food. Hackberries ripe soon!
all last year, we were at several indoor and outdoor car shows, with tons of people. Knock wood we remain very healthy. the activity helps keep my joints limber. I am not a camper, never been. West Virginia is a beautiful state, stayed in Flowing Springs for a bit enjoyed the natural spa they have there for a good soaking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Friday, we leave again for New Bern, NC to stay out our second home for a week. have with us more stuff, furniture pieces etc. to work on a few things while there. Temps are warmer there than up north, so I can still pack shorts, but not hot, a nice 70 degrees day time. Have another trip planned to Virginia Beach mid November, to be back in time for dinner reservations for Thanksgiving day at a local place. And, although not a trip away, We are going to the Eagle Football game on January 1 in Philly, relatives are flying in for that also, some from California, and some from Mississippi, as the other team is from New Orleans. Talking about tailgate party, we shall see how that develops. But, be honest, when I am home, I am so happy. Still putting to bed lots of plants and the leaf raking has begun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
We leave on an airplane to Gulfport, Miss. Hate flying, have to pack a certain way. and the 2 hour ahead of time to get there. But will spend a week with nephew and family. Suppose to be warmer down there, so dragging out my warm weather clothes. Also husband will stay on 17 days after I leave to come back home, so 2 vacations in one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Off to Jamaica again in 2 weeks for 14 days. Our 16th time - missed one year due to COVID. But this will be our last, at least for a while. It's a long grueling trip even going first class and we're not getting any younger - other places to go too. Three flights and a bus ride takes about 24 hours, often with an overnight layover one way. Price we pay for living where we do. Was a lot easier when we lived just out of Portland, OR. Be very easy if we lived on the east coast or some other places with direct flights. Can't get much further from JA in the US unless we lived in Alaska. Can't wait to shed the clothes and lay on the beach sucking on a nice cold tropical cocktail with all the friends we have made who vaca there at the same time each year. Been everywhere and done everything there we want to do in the 210 days we have spent there in all, so we rarely leave the resort these days - maybe go down into Ocho Rios for lunch at Miss T's one day with some of our Jamaican friends. Just enjoy the weather, the people, food, drinks and fun and losing the tan lines - well, except the ones under our wedding rings. Going to miss it next year, but probably go to Hawai'i again but a different Island this time. Did Oahu the first time - had to go to Pearl Harbor. Probably go to Key West a few more times too - cool place, lots to see and do... and eat and drink... Thinking about maybe Europe, but it's so expensive over there. Now that my Mom is gone, Corinne would like to to the UK again without being tied to family visits. I had 30 years of the UK, so the only thing that excites me about it is going to Scotland where I have never been. But France and Italy again and the Netherlands where her folk are originally from would be good. I would love to go to India, where my Dad spent some time, but not going near any of those countries or the middle east these days. Australia would be good - he spent some time there too. New Zealand is definitely on our list. Not into cruises, except Alaska we want to do. Otherwise it's just a big floating resort hotel and you just get a quick glimpse of the touristy bit of a few countries for a hour or two. Some people love it, but not our thing. We do a lot of RVing, so we are planning some longer trips around the US too - and we don't have to leave the cats behind. It's tough being retired - so busy, so many decisions to make! So glad we got the yard and garden set - only decisions for that now are what goes in the raised beds each year. Gotta have Scotch Bonnets and Mad Hatter chilies and Callaloo, but no need for any more Carolina Reapers for a few years - the sauce I made is gonna last a loooong time! Giving up on Tomatoes - too much hassle for too little reward here. Much cheaper and easier to go to the farmer's market. Peas have not been spectacularly successful here except for one year - waste of space. Good on carrots and parsnips in the freezer for another year at least. So probably onions, radishes, lettuce, beans, herbs and some other stuff, whatever else Corinne wants to grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
In Australia at the moment for our youngest sons wedding who lives here fantastic place.

Attachments

• 5E0F2A24-9FC0-4C9B-A647-B117D7AAC422.jpeg
    5E0F2A24-9FC0-4C9B-A647-B117D7AAC422.jpeg
    216.3 KB · Views: 1
  • B86E351D-49EE-4D57-BF60-6A53D3B885AC.jpeg
    B86E351D-49EE-4D57-BF60-6A53D3B885AC.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 37D6EB1E-064A-4B01-859C-7569DD874871.jpeg
    37D6EB1E-064A-4B01-859C-7569DD874871.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 853AA5D3-42BF-4995-9386-AB3B1BF5C19F.jpeg
    853AA5D3-42BF-4995-9386-AB3B1BF5C19F.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 2
  • D3C8731C-D18B-47DC-B727-C7A1812741B2.jpeg
    D3C8731C-D18B-47DC-B727-C7A1812741B2.jpeg
    388.5 KB · Views: 1
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@cntrlwagdnr , neat to plan and think about different places to go. Have not been to Key West in a few years, used to go every year for 18 years, then just said that was enough. It is an awesome place to visit indeed. Sometime the traveling part can just suck, too long etc. My cousins live in Washington State, near Federal Way. but they just moved to Cleveland, TN. Have you been to Heronswood Nursery, forgot the town its in, but one year when I was visiting my cousins it took an hour to get there, loved it. Awesome hydrangeas.
We are just in the planning phase of the 8 car show destinations in various states for the summer, and to explore the different areas around the show. A couple of them are close to some cousins who will be meeting us at them. And just found out a class reunion is happening in July, in Ohio, where also other cousins live, so planning on that trip. Working on the Maine trip, hopefully mid July, sandwiched between some car shows
@Zenj , awesome to get there, had been on my list prior to the virus, we have two timeshares in New Zealand. Also would love to get to from there as both New Zealand and Australia are quiet a long trip to get there. Maybe one day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
The missus has booked two weeks in Turkey Sept. - Oct. I go nowhere :)
Recently when someone over the pond mentions going to another country from the UK, I am curious the distance comparing to the mileage. So just a general mapquest, from the UK to Turkey says it would take 45 hours drive. In comparison over here, leaving my house in PA I would have to drive west all the way to the Oregon coast line to get to 45 hours of driving. Not that your going to drive. I am just curious the distance.

So, are you saying , she's going by herself?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Yesterday decided to start the process of reservations for us and our show car to all the 6 shows we have applied for, after about 3 hours got the destination hotels reserved. Kentucky, Tennessee , Missouri, Michigan, Vermont, and PA (one hour from our home). Checking on google earth to make sure "yes, parking size adequate". Now to make the 2ndary reservation for the stop over on the way to sleep in the longer drives again looking at google earth for parking size, and location of restaurants. And putting it all together with some organization, and some sight seeing planning when in those areas. These events will begin in May. Good thing I started, two of the hotels sold out in the different "hot spot" areas close to the event. During these individual events all receipts are kept, as it is treated like a business. So at the end of the year, our accountant gets a packet of each broken down, 6 packets. So with any winnings that is accounted for. Oh, and I am retired. LOL. With many of these shows we get to meet up with familiar faces, good gathering occur. And I tell my single girl friends, you want to meet guys, come sit with me at a car show. LOL.

Ask a Question