When can I apply Tenacity?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I live in northeastern Tennessee. The weather is unpredictable this time of year. One day it's 72 degrees, and the next day we have ice warnings. Will cold temperatures reduce or destroy the effectiveness of it if we get sub-freezing temps?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I live in northeastern Tennessee. The weather is unpredictable this time of year. One day it's 72 degrees, and the next day we have ice warnings. Will cold temperatures reduce or destroy the effectiveness of it if we get sub-freezing temps?
Will cold temps reduce or destroy the effectiveness of what?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It says it is a systemic herbicide so the plant takes it in. Cold weather slows down growth so the plant will not take it in as fast as if it were warmer weather so effectiveness is reduced in cold temps. The cold itselft isn't going to cancel out the herbicide but it may wash out after a rain before the plant absorbs it. I would at least wait until you get a couple days in a row in the 60-70F and no rain.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tenacity herbicide can be applied during any season, but the timing of application may depend on the target weed species and the stage of growth. In general, it's best to apply Tenacity when weeds are actively growing and not under stress. This can help ensure that the herbicide is absorbed effectively and that the weeds are killed.

As for temperature, it's important to follow the label instructions carefully when applying any herbicide, including Tenacity. The label should specify the temperature range in which the product can be safely applied. If temperatures are too low or too high, it could affect the effectiveness of the herbicide or cause damage to your plants.

According to the Tenacity label, the ideal temperature range for application is between 50 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit. It's also recommended that you avoid applying the product during periods of high heat or drought stress.

If you're unsure about the best time to apply Tenacity in your area, you may want to consult with a local garden center or cooperative extension service. They can provide guidance on the best timing for herbicide application based on your specific location and conditions.

For more info check out the following resource

The Brainy Gardener is an online gardening resource that provides practical, real-life tips, tutorials and inspiration for novice and expert gardeners alike.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question