Week 2 of 3 with Tenacity Herbicide

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I have a lawn with a strong infestation of carb grass and many other types of weeds. There are sections where there's 10% grass and 90% weeds.

I followed the tenacity website directions pretty closely and have applied the second application (out of 3 total) last weekend.

I can see the bleached crab grass and many other weeds are bleached. I am wondering if I show remove them somehow?

I plan to over-seed next month, I am just wondering since I have so much crab grass and other weeds, that are now clearly bleached, should I manually remove them ? Should I do that with a dethatcher ; I have a riding mower dethatcher extension?

Or should I just seed over them?

Thanks,
Sameh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Sorry. Can we have that in English. What the hell is carb or crab grass, for starters?
Pretty sure it is the crabgrass. What is in tenacity anyways? Haha I just found out crabgrass is named for The Finger!

Digitaria is a genus of plants in the grass family native to tropical and warm temperate regions but can occur in tropical, subtropical, and cooler temperate regions as well. Common names include crabgrass, finger-grass, and fonio. They are slender monocotyledonous annual and perennial lawn, pasture, and forage plants; some are often considered lawn pests. Digitus is the Latin word for "finger", and they are distinguished by the long, finger-like inflorescences they produce.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States

Active Ingredients:​

Mesotrione

HRAC/FRAC/IRAC Classification:​

Group 27 Herbicide

EPA#:​

100-1267

The man made version of a organic chemical made by plants to kill off competing plants? Sort of like the man made insecticide pyrethrin is to the pyrethroids from Chrysanthemum flowers? Or is it actually from plants? A better choice than some herbicides either way I bet.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I believe yes it is a man made version of a plant made chemical that kills competing plants.

This is according to their FAQ and some YouTube videos so I am certainly not equipped to answer anymore than that.

I still don't understand the end game of this. Are there any steps necessary before overseeding?

I have just two more weeks before I should overseed. I will see what it looks like at that time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I believe yes it is a man made version of a plant made chemical that kills competing plants.

This is according to their FAQ and some YouTube videos so I am certainly not equipped to answer anymore than that.

I still don't understand the end game of this. Are there any steps necessary before overseeding?

I have just two more weeks before I should overseed. I will see what it looks like at that time.
Depending on oxidation, heat and water etc, they probably mention a half life and seeding would come after that time by double or slightly more probably. Mostly they fail and fall apart quickly which is a great thing.

Ask a Question