How to apply neem soil drench

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi

At my Bridge club we have some rhododendrons, lemon trees and viburnum plants that have been affected by thrips and white fly. I have sprayed with horticultural oil and neem and also used neem soil drench. I am unsure about how to apply the soil drench though. What I currently do is on opposite sides of the plant I make a patch of bare soil roughly 3 inches by 4 inches just inside the drip line and apply 1 to 2 cups of solution to the bare soil. Is this the right way to do it or do I need to try and encircle the entire plant? I am using some stuff called "neem insecticide" at 10 mls per litre on the advice of the manufacturer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Neem Oil when used as a drench acts as a systemic insecticide, meaning that it is absorbed into the plant through the roots and when an insect takes a bite it is poisoned. Use 1 oz per gallon of water and drench the ENTIRE root system. In my experience a Neem drench is somewhat iffy, meaning that it works but not 100%. You will probably still need to foliar spray. If thrips are a serious problem a garlic spray works really well. With whitefly not so much.

Last edited:

Ask a Question