When can dormant trees be uprooted and transplanted?

Reaction score
For the past three years I've grown a number of fruiting hazel trees from seed. They were planted in tubs for ease of movement and so I could move them. But they are now so large that they need to be moved into a permanent site, especially as they should start fruiting the year after next.

When's the best time to move them? Particularly as I want to give some as bare-rooted gifts. They look pretty dormant now.... but is it best to move them at the beginning or the end of winter?

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If you haven't done it yet ,now is the time
Just keep the roots from freezing, its as easy as laying the saplings down and covering the bare root with mulch until ready

Reaction score
I have always heard that the fall is the best time. Like the Dr said just keep the roots from freezing, if you have cold winters you may want to wait until any chance of a hard freeze is over.

Reaction score
You'll never get two people with the same answer, some will swear by fall and some will swear by early spring. Myself I do it in early spring when there'll be 2-3 days of rain coming up.

Ask a Question