Dormant Spray - Correct Time to Use?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I was planning to spray my ornamental crabapple and snowcloud trees as soon as the temps reach 40F consistently during the day but now I've had someone tell me I should have done this in the fall.

Anyone know if it is still okay to spray or did I miss the mark?

many thanks
Lori

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I was planning to spray my ornamental crabapple and snowcloud trees as soon as the temps reach 40F consistently during the day but now I've had someone tell me I should have done this in the fall.

Anyone know if it is still okay to spray or did I miss the mark?

many thanks
Lori
I was always lead to believe this would be sprayed in the late fall, but after doing a quick search it turns out there are now refined products that can be used before the tree buds out. So you will have to know exactly what product you have. The ones that are not super refined could actually do harm if applied at the wrong time of year.
Dr. Phil Nixon and Dr. Raymond Cloyd in the U of I Extension Home, Yard and Garden Pest Newsletter outlined the benefits of making an application of dormant oil. Advantages include: (1) a wide range of activity against most species of mites and scales, including some activity on eggs; (2) minimal likelihood of insects' or mites' developing resistance; (3) generally less harmful to beneficial insects and mites than other pesticides (4) relatively safe to birds, humans, and other mammals. Disadvantages of using dormant oil are (1) potential plant damage if incorrect oil is used or used at improper rate during the growing season and (2) minimal residual activity to kill new pest infestations.

Seems to me with these new formulas, they should be labeling these dormant oils with a 'post' or 'pre' in front to clarify what the intended use is of this product is.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Down here in Texas we have every kind of insect there is. Many years ago, before I learned better, I used chemicals on everything, mainly because there weren't any organic substitutes and if I didn't spray my peach and plum trees with some type of oil then I would invariably have some kind of insect related problem, usually either mites or scale or both. Then I started using organic techniques and organic products as they became available. To make a long story short, I haven't sprayed my fruit trees in years with any type of dormant oil or anything else. Four years ago I had an infestation of white scale on three of my peach trees. One application of Neem Oil took care of them. Other than that one episode I have never done a thing to any of my trees. My approach to things like this is If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I agree Chuck. I take the 'wait and see' approach. The only thing I will do in the spring is put down a pre-emergent for my lawn,and perennial beds, followed by a 10-10-10 fertilizer, and that's it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I have been plagued by nasty spots on my trees leaves. I took some of the leaves to the local nursery and they said it was insects and I bought the oil.

I am going to look up this Neem. I do travel across the border from time to time and since it is organic, that may just be the solution I am looking for that I will be allowed to bring back.

many thanks!
Lori

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have been plagued by nasty spots on my trees leaves. I took some of the leaves to the local nursery and they said it was insects and I bought the oil.

I am going to look up this Neem. I do travel across the border from time to time and since it is organic, that may just be the solution I am looking for that I will be allowed to bring back.

many thanks!
Lori
These black spots, do they rub off? Neem Oil should be available in Canada. It is a well known insecticide and fungicide

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
O, they didn't rub off, at least not like you can do with powdery mildew.

I was thinking aphid poop but if it doesn't rub off it's not that. I take it that these black spots are on full grown mature leaves? Or are the spots on newly budded leaves as well? If they are on the newly budded leaves what you probably have are thrips

Ask a Question