How soon can trees/shrubs go dormant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello, and thanks for reading my thread! :D

My question is how soon after sowing seeds is it safe to allow trees to go dormant? In case we need specific comparisons, let's say Apples, Grapes, Blueberries, Blackberries, Oranges, and Lemons? I have seedlings of each which are about 1month old. I believe the winter will come in about 2.5 months in Texas.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Usually on vines and bushes such as grapes and blueberries dormancy begins when they loose their leaves at the first frost. A tree on the other hand such as an apple begins dormancy because of day length and light intensity which starts in the summer and normal growth doesn't start until the next spring. Citrus trees do not go dormant, they just drastically slow their growth during low light intensity of the winter months

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Usually on vines and bushes such as grapes and blueberries dormancy begins when they loose their leaves at the first frost. A tree on the other hand such as an apple begins dormancy because of day length and light intensity which starts in the summer and normal growth doesn't start until the next spring. Citrus trees do not go dormant, they just drastically slow their growth during low light intensity of the winter months

Great info! Thanks!

Are 3month old (age at time of frost) seedlings developed enough to withstand Texas winter and go into dormancy ?

PS: I don't think it will get very cold in Texas. It never really does for long.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Great info! Thanks!

Are 3month old (age at time of frost) seedlings developed enough to withstand Texas winter and go into dormancy ?

PS: I don't think it will get very cold in Texas. It never really does for long.
If you leave any of them outside this winter in a small container you will kill them

Ask a Question