Dormant grape vine

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
So it's been one month and so far I can't see that anything is really happening with the dormant grape vine I acquired at the end of May from Lowes. It was one of the clearance plants I got and it was so cheap that it wouldn't be any great loss, but I'm just not sure whether to give up on it or wait a little longer.

Has anyone grown grapes this way before?

Reaction score
LOL I got myself a grape vine cutting last month and I haven't seen any growth or changes to the cutting. I was just wondering this morning if I should wait or throw it away.. As usual I decided to wait and see.
If the leaves are green or if the stem is not dried up you may want to wait and see. I really have no idea about growing grape vines. But plants that go dormant often spring back to life after a while. The changes in the environment the lack of sufficient light may have all forced it to become dormant. Why not wait another month?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Maddie, it came dormant; it was one of the clearance plants I got. You have to soak it and then clear all the stuff away from the roots and then plant it in soil. It has no leaves it's just a cane with it little bit of roots. The instructions were to plant it and wait for leaves and then start feeding it.

I check it regularly for signs of life; there are these little bumps that I thought might be buds, but I can't tell that anything is happening and it's been about a month. I really don't spend much time thinking about it; I just try to remember to stick my finger in the soil to make sure the container hasn't dried out, but this is like waiting for a rose stem to root!

In the beginning I didn't want it to get too much sun and then later I thought, maybe it needs more sun. What I've read online seems contradictory to what the instructions were that came with it... (sigh). I'm just not sure how long I should wait.

Reaction score
I wish you will have some of the experts answering you on this. My cutting too has those small bumps.. I watch and wait for it to grow. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks, Maddie. I've done some reading, but I guess there is nothing to do but wait it out. I carefully took it out of the soil and looked at the roots but there had been no discernible change there either. My mom had a peach tree that didn't seem to be doing anything and just as she was getting ready to take it back it suddenly had new growth on it. I hope to see something soon, I just hope all the rain doesn't make the plant's container too soggy.

Reaction score
Chanell, today when I went to my little garden i noticed that my vine cutting has produced a small shoot. Wow I am over the moon. After almost two months it has taken root and started growing. How is your vine doing? You were the first person I thought of when I saw that little growth. I had to come here and tell you this!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Maddie, I am going to try very hard not to be envious of your vine cutting, lol. I am still waiting. I looked at it again just this morning and I still can't detect any noticeable change. About this time next week it will have been out there for two months. Given the time it takes to root some cuttings (like roses) I am willing to give it a few more weeks.

Reaction score
Be patient with your grapes I had my grapevine for so many years that when I finally got grapes I had no clue what they were..:eek:. After about 6 years of growing a vine I got grapes last year, but this year I had fewer grapes than the first year. Oh well it just requires patience. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Be patient with your grapes I had my grapevine for so many years that when I finally got grapes I had no clue what they were..:eek:. After about 6 years of growing a vine I got grapes last year, but this year I had fewer grapes than the first year. Oh well it just requires patience. :D

I am trying, but it still doesn't even have any leaves! I got it on May 30 and I planted it the following day. It came in a plastic bag and the instructions were to soak it for several hours and then completely remove all the material around the roots. Not special planting instructions other than not to fertilize or anything until leaves appeared. It's been two months and I am still waiting.

Ask a Question