What's you opinion on Gooseberry taste?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have 7 rather large Gooseberry bushes 4 different varities with a Jostaberry. To be honest I haven't put much time into them. Rarely ever water and for the amount of time I put into them they produce berries.

To be honest I'm not really liking the taste of them. This year I spent more time watering to see if the taste would improve. I tried them all yesterday. A few were still not ripe but only one seem to taste OK.

Are you guys liking these berries? Maybe I'm trying them before they are ripe but I tried them throughout last summer and they were horrible. Debating whether to pull them and put something else.

MOD

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I grew up loving them and as I've gotten older my memory of them has grown even more favorable towards them. Can't grow them here...but would if I could.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
They grow wild here. I never had a domesticated one so maybe it's different. When it comes to strawberries, blueberries, black and red raspberries, cranberries etc I always prefer wild over "tame" as we call it here. They are all smaller fruits in the wild but way more taste. Same with wild leeks. That's just my opinion though. I harvest more wild edibles then fruits and veggies that I grow lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
They grow wild here. I never had a domesticated one so maybe it's different. When it comes to strawberries, blueberries, black and red raspberries, cranberries etc I always prefer wild over "tame" as we call it here. They are all smaller fruits in the wild but way more taste. Same with wild leeks. That's just my opinion though. I harvest more wild edibles then fruits and veggies that I grow lol.

The wild blackberries in my area taste better than the triple crown I grow but way smaller like you mentioned. The wild strawberries are to small to even get a taste.

MOD

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The wild blackberries in my area taste better than the triple crown I grow but way smaller like you mentioned. The wild strawberries are to small to even get a taste.

MOD
Yes the wild strawberries are a full day work collecting and questionable if it's worth the sore back next day lol. But if you get enough a bowl of wild strawberries with a scoop of homemade vanilla bean ice cream is beyond delicious!

Ask a Question