What's this mottling on courgette leaves??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm afraid I take immuno-suppressants for GPA which makes me very vulnerable, so apart from stuff like hospital appointments when I lost my eye I am full time in the garden keeping myself to myself.
However there are about fifty videos on my facebook page and YouTube site. Most are my original stories, but there is the odd traditional story there as well, you can tell which they are, I don't read them. I used to do a bit of storytelling at festivals and such, who knows, If someone develops a decent vaccine ...
Here is the full page of them,
I will take a look!

I'm planting out my plants today. More damage to the courgette leaves..... Do you think I should cut the offending leaves off before I plant or leave them??

Attachments

• IMG_20220515_105426_1.jpg
    IMG_20220515_105426_1.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would leave it, it is a big leaf and most of it will be doing its job fine. You may find the outside conditions are on the plant's side as well, if not and it gets worse you can always take it off, at least the plant will be established and ready to replace leaves.
Planted out mine the other day, and there are little flower buds coming, though the first ones tend to be male it's still quite exciting.

PS Try 'Fairy doors', that's a garden related story :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've subscribed to your channel!

Quick question. I've attached pic below. I've filled my grow bag with compost. I've put in a few courgettes, chilli plants and some of my red onion strands (the pot I have isn't deep enough for these so figured this year I would put in this)

Is this OK, are all of these happy together? Last year I put my cauliflowers next to my courgettes and they were fine. Just checking before I lock it all down!
IMG_20220515_113918.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't use grow bags, but they look close together. Planting out in the garden the recommended distance is normally 3ft apart, and I think those front two might swamp your poor chilies, i would be inclined to take them out. The probability is that you will get more fruit from two plants with plenty of room than you will from four that are crowded.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My courgettes are starting to get small flowers emerging, I'm thinking it's probably best to remove the protective mesh now so that bees etc can pollinate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know really. I just did it last year!

I've taken it off anyway. Like you said, they are pretty resilient and the need for pollination is greater than my need to protect them from bugs!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This cold and wet weather spell is bothering my courgettes. Never grown goldmine variety before but I seem to have a lot of male flowers and small males that aren't ready. Leaves are being hit hard but I guess there's not much I can do but wait it out!

Attachments

• IMG_20220606_213102.jpg
    IMG_20220606_213102.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220606_213058.jpg
    IMG_20220606_213058.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220606_213053.jpg
    IMG_20220606_213053.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Goldmine sounds like a yellow variety, I have never had as much success with the yellow ones as with the bog standard green. It's early days, and not uncommon to get some male flowers first, keep calm and carry on. :)
I sometimes pick the male flowers to stop them wasting their strength on them, but I don't know if it really helps.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I'm afraid I take immuno-suppressants for GPA which makes me very vulnerable, so apart from stuff like hospital appointments when I lost my eye I am full time in the garden keeping myself to myself.
However there are about fifty videos on my facebook page and YouTube site. Most are my original stories, but there is the odd traditional story there as well, you can tell which they are, I don't read them. I used to do a bit of storytelling at festivals and such, who knows, If someone develops a decent vaccine ...
Here is the full page of them,
My wife is immunosuppressed due to medication required to prevent rejection of the SPK (simultaneous pancreas & kidney) she has had via transplant, & many do not realise that there are many thousands still extremely vulnerable to covid.
What a good idea!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you. I really must put up another story, I am just nineteen views short of 1,000. It will get there in the end, but that is about what a new story generates quickly, though some of the oldest ones have hardly been looked at.
It really is amazing the sort of transplants they do nowadays, I remember a friend had one of the earliest kidney transplants when we were teenagers, he had two scars going half way around his body on each side. GPA is actually a very severe form of vasculitis, my immune system attacking the small veins, I have benefited from the research into immuno-suppressants for transplants, they were none too developed when I first started getting symptoms and before steroids were developed in the 1970's most people died from what I have within a couple of months of diagnosis.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
More courgette leaf drama!

The fruits are OK but the leaves are going yellow and patchy. My first guess is chloritis, as with the basil, any ideas?

I feed them a standard organic plant feed once a week, and water every other day?

Attachments

• IMG_20220622_185313.jpg
    IMG_20220622_185313.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220622_185301.jpg
    IMG_20220622_185301.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 4

Ask a Question