What's this mottling on courgette leaves??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

One of my courgette plants has developed wierd marks on one of its leaves, does anyone know why or what it is?

Attachments

• IMG_20220506_185037.jpg
    IMG_20220506_185037.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 16
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not sure, but it looks as though it might be leaf miner damage, they eat the center of the leaf and leave the surfaces. I would isolate that one.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh no how awful! I've just put that one outside, hopefully that's contained it! Thank you

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is probably not 'killer', plants can take a lot of leaf damage and grow new ones, it's damage to stems and roots that really hurts them, they can't replace them the same way.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bottom leaves of my courgettes are going a bit yellow. The rest of the plant is healthy, is this anything to worry about or is it normal?

Attachments

• IMG_20220509_190650.jpg
    IMG_20220509_190650.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't worry, just outgrowing its seed leaves. The proper leaves look fine and there is a lovely bud in the center. Mine look very similar, they came out of the greenhouse the day before yesterday and suddenly look greener and more solid in an indefinable way. It was time, but I am in Sussex, well South, and I shall still keep an eye on the weather forecast, late frost is unlikely, but just possible.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you Oliver!

Yes I think in hindsight I planted my seeds 2 weeks early. Ideally they'd be outside now but holding off until next weekend (21st ish) to plant out as like you, I'm worried about last frost. I'm in Manchester.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't planted them out yet, just stood them out. Partly I can stand them back in overnight if there is a cold one, partly I like to spread the shock a bit, let them get used to being out before I turn them out of the pot they have known since they were little more than a seed. :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good point, I'm working from home all next week so will sit them out too!

Really looking forward to them this year, goldmine ones for a change. Last year was my first ever year growing anything and I got so many fruits it was insane!

I'm also growing chilli's for the first time. They are in 12cm pots right now, about 25cm tall. They will take up the other half of my giant grow bag. I will cover it all in cloche and jobs a goodun!

Make sure you take pics and post them once the courgettes have settled!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Update-the courgettes go out this weekend! Currently sat outside for a few hours acclimatising!

Attachments

• IMG_20220513_173545.jpg
    IMG_20220513_173545.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That is an awful lot of courgettes if they all do well. I usually plant two plants in case one is a dud. It usually isn't and we end up giving away courgettes to all our friends and neighbours. Remember they like a bit of compost when they go out; I have actually made a hole for a small pocket of earth in the top of a compost heap and planted one there before now. It loved it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple are for my mum!

I plant them in a 400ltr grow bag. Worked well last year, I've removed 60% of the old soil and will mix in new.

Ive noticed damage on one leaf, it had a slug trail on it so I don't know how that managed to get inside my conservatory!
IMG_20220513_190348.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Slugs and snails get everywhere, even if slowly. If you see something like that it is always worth checking the bottom of the pot. Sometimes they stay between the pot and the earth, but quite often there it is, waiting for nightfall.

Check out what I think of snails

:) there are a whole bunch of videos on my 'Storyshack' site.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Slugs and snails get everywhere, even if slowly. If you see something like that it is always worth checking the bottom of the pot. Sometimes they stay between the pot and the earth, but quite often there it is, waiting for nightfall.

Check out what I think of snails

:) there are a whole bunch of videos on my 'Storyshack' site.
That's brilliant! I hope you do open mic nights. If not you're wasted!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm afraid I take immuno-suppressants for GPA which makes me very vulnerable, so apart from stuff like hospital appointments when I lost my eye I am full time in the garden keeping myself to myself.
However there are about fifty videos on my facebook page and YouTube site. Most are my original stories, but there is the odd traditional story there as well, you can tell which they are, I don't read them. I used to do a bit of storytelling at festivals and such, who knows, If someone develops a decent vaccine ...
Here is the full page of them,

Ask a Question