What's the best use for pumpkin seeds?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Those extractors are not so expensive and they work like a charm! My in laws have extracted whole bottles of oil from almonds, hazelnuts and other things. They're a must, specially for someone like you who is into natural cosmetics ;) As for pumpkin seeds.... what makes you think you are allergic to them?
I don't know. Eating them makes me feel sick. But I don't have any symptoms of a food poisoning nor anything like it.
I feel equally awful when I eat sunflower seeds:eek:
This extractor is really great, I must buy one too:) Did your in laws purchased theirs online?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I personally like to separate them from the pumpkin guts, toss them in melted butter and bake them on a cookie sheet. That is how I get my kids to carve pumpkins, they love eating the seeds when they are baked.

Reaction score
I don't know. Eating them makes me feel sick. But I don't have any symptoms of a food poisoning nor anything like it.
I feel equally awful when I eat sunflower seeds:eek:
This extractor is really great, I must buy one too:) Did your in laws purchased theirs online?

Oh i see! Then you definitely have an issue with them. My mom loves them, I honestly don't understand what other people like about eating those seeds :p My in laws bought theirs at a local store, but you can easily find it on Amazon!

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Recipes of Pumpkin Seeds –Sweet and Salty

Ingredient You Need:

Fresh pumpkin seeds rinsed and patted dry – 2 cups
Melted unsalted butter -2 tablespoon
Sugar – 2 tablespoon
Kosher Salt – half tablespoon
Ground cinnamon – ¼ tablespoon

Guide to Prepare Crispy sweet and salted snacks.

1. Bake seeds in oven at a temperature to 300° F until they dry throughout.
  2. Take a bowl and toss seed with melted butter add all the ingredient toast them until golden brown color appears.

Reaction score
I'm going to have to go buy a pumpkin or 6 (since my husband mowed down my pumpkin plants) and try the drunken pumpkin seeds and the sweet and salty. They both sound yummy(y)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pumpkin seed can be ground to a paste, mixed with honey and used for a facial mask. A little less grinding and used to exfoliate skin.

We baked some for snacks and the rest can go to the birds, or squirrels. They have gathered all the walnuts already.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
If some looking to grow pumpkin indoor ,here at am going to shares some useful tips that are really fruitful. you can find pumpkin seeds in your local market or can buy online from ebay, Find a plastic pot fill it with compost,you must insure that a small hole must be there at the bottom side of pot and make sure soil do not get too wet. you can use 10 -15 pumpkin seeds a pot, wait for at least 2 weeks and you can find seeds have sprouted,
transplant them into clay pot.Use rods near the clay pot to make pumpkin plant coil around the rod. After few days pumpkin will produce blossoms. Make sure they get enough water and sunlight to grow.

Reaction score
Country
United States
  1. Scoop and clean the seeds: Preheat oven to 300°F. Cut the squash according to how you are going to use it. Scoop the seeds from the cavity and place in a colander. Pinch away all the large chunks of squash flesh and strings. Place the colander under cool running water and remove any additional squash flesh. Shake colander to remove water.
  2. Dry the seeds: Dump the seeds out onto a towel and pat to dry. The seeds might stick to the towel a bit.
  3. Oil and salt the seeds: Place the seeds on a baking tray and drizzle with a small amount of oil, approximately 1 teaspoon for 3/4 cup of seeds. Add a pinch or two of salt.
  4. Toss and bake the seeds: Toss the seeds until they are evenly coated with oil and salt. Spread out so they are in a single layer, though some overlapping is fine. Place the baking sheet into the oven. Roast until the seeds are just starting to brown, about 20 to 25 minutes. If your oven has uneven spots, you may want to stir after 10 minutes.
  5. Remove and cool: Remove the seeds from the oven and let the seeds cool on the tray. Enjoy right away or keep for a few days in an airtight container.

Reaction score
If some looking to grow pumpkin indoor ,here at am going to shares some useful tips that are really fruitful. you can find pumpkin seeds in your local market or can buy online from ebay, Find a plastic pot fill it with compost,you must insure that a small hole must be there at the bottom side of pot and make sure soil do not get too wet. you can use 10 -15 pumpkin seeds a pot, wait for at least 2 weeks and you can find seeds have sprouted,
transplant them into clay pot.Use rods near the clay pot to make pumpkin plant coil around the rod. After few days pumpkin will produce blossoms. Make sure they get enough water and sunlight to grow.

I imagine they would take a LOT of sunlight, and take quite a bit of room, not the first thing I would think to grow indoors, but using rods to contain them, and with grow lights, you have me tempted.

A real benefit would be that my husband has yet to start mowing indoors and wouldn't kill them. Not sure sure the cats will leave them alone though.

Thanks for the interesting idea!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes I remember what we used to do as kids. We would add sugar, cinnamon and butter.Bake them in the oven and they would be so good. I hear good things about pumpkin seeds or course without the extra additives.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This sounds great, Twinsmommy31! I don't eat pumpkin seeds, so I'm wondering if I could substitute them with almonds or walnuts. I get hugry when I try to imagine almonds baked with sugar ad butter:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Roast them! I love roasted pumpkin seeds. Sadly, I don't grow pumpkins of my own, so the seeds that I eat are from the grocery store. It would be really nice to be able to roast my own seeds though. I would be sure that they do not contain preservatives and other additives. :)

Wes

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've always cooked the seeds I don't plan on keeping for next season's garden.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?MGXZY 7 October 2013 Processing Pumpkin Seeds
Seeds were removed from four pumpkins and the seeds processed into a purée. This purée is highly nutritional. Slightly more than a litre was obtained and placed in small containers and frozen for long term storage.The purée is used as a supplement added to cereal for breakfast or it may be eaten as a snack.The purée has the consistency of table butter, and has a creamy flavour. The process is to remove seeds from the pumpkin, cook about an hour in a double boiler, strain water, put through a Champion Juicer to remove the seed pulp from the shell and store.
URL

Ask a Question