What's looking good in November 2017

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The Japanese was from Google translate.. Hope people don't think that I know Japanese. Can't even remember the basics..

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
nice shot of the rose closeup!

Now tell me about the building in the background, it seems to have some history to it!

(I had to look up the word "lashed", the example sentence was, "They were all very eager to get lashed last night so they could start the workweek with a hangover."

I think I get it. lol

oh, and love this forum, but I can only post in English! lol

You got it right :D

I'm house sitting the building. Hard to date as it's had a lot of original features replaced but I'd guess around 1700's

There used to be an abbey here, masonry in the garden is from a much grander building.

Badly needs re thatching and is really spooky at night, not keen on the bat flying round my room
1yikestkt.gif

DSCI0085.JPG

DSCI0047.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit scary Zigs? :(
Once spent a night in a haunted old house with a number of others. We paid for the priviledge!!! In the morning none of us could start our cars; batteries flat:( proof indeed of spooky goings on.
(Cctv might have shown some human behaviour of course but I am a believer!;))

mg guy

lawn and garden freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You got it right :D

I'm house sitting the building. Hard to date as it's had a lot of original features replaced but I'd guess around 1700's

There used to be an abbey here, masonry in the garden is from a much grander building.

Badly needs re thatching and is really spooky at night, not keen on the bat flying round my room View attachment 29638

View attachment 29639
View attachment 29640

yeah, I draw the line at bat sitting!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@zigs the cottage is divinely picturesque and there is so much vegetation. It looks like a lovely spot. Hopefully you can coax the bat outside, maybe with a net? Then again it may be keeping the place insect free although i wouldn't want bat guano on the sheets no matter how much nitrogen it has for the garden :happy:

mg guy

lawn and garden freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Not sure where the bats gone :cautious:

Garden is nice but needs some major cutting back, got rather over mature..

View attachment 29659 View attachment 29660
what an interesting, eclectic property.
Wouldn't it be sweet to have the funds for a full crew to do the complete makeover and make that a really stunning piece of real estate?
(My mind sees endless possibilities when I look at pics like that, then I have to dial myself back to earth and realize I haven't got 'round to the bulbs that need planting. lol)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It is very expensive to re-thatch the roof. Anybody buying a house like this basically faces a periodic time bomb and you have to be careful not to burn down the house when you start your wood burner .. It happened before.

mg guy

lawn and garden freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It is very expensive to re-thatch the roof. Anybody buying a house like this basically faces a periodic time bomb and you have to be careful not to burn down the house when you start your wood burner .. It happened before.
do they make a synthetic thatched roof material in England?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@mg guy You make me chuckle. If you had a 2 to 3 acre land with a rustic country house, you wouldn't want to have astro turf.

The roof needs to be thatched when it leaks. And if there were a fire, this could be a real disaster.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...erted-owners-home-burning-sat-eat-dinner.html

People are warned against using wood burning stoves as a couple in Dorset had their thatched house burnt down because of that.

See how horrible this is

33BB798A00000578-0-image-a-81_1462204239218.jpg

Some relative bragged that it would cost him £20,000 to re-thatch the roof. No pity from me. He's snob .. and he knew the score when he took the plunge .. I'm pragmatic and utilitarian..

Last edited:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's a listed building so you'd only be allowed to re thatch with the same material, which unfortunately in this case is long straw, which only lasts 10 years.

Norfolk reed would last 70.

There's also a problem with the front wall, it's on the move probably due to the weight of the wet thatch that's holding water rather than shedding it.

Historic buildings are my trade but I can't see a way of putting a tie thru without blocking an internal doorway. Only other solution would be to add butresses, but being listed I doubt if that would be allowed.

Then there's the bat problem, not allowed to disturb them so how do you re thatch if they're roosting in the attic .

Glad it's not my problem.

Ask a Question