Looks good to me

DSCN2277.JPG

Stags Horn Fungus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I've never seen something like that just growing out of a tree stump - or perhaps, I've just never noticed it before. You've got me intrigued now -- I feel like in open areas where I might come across a tree stump like this, I'll be paying a lot more attention to see what I can discover!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Wait till you see a phosphorescent one glowing in the dark :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Now that sounds equal parts interesting and freaky! Are they exclusive to certain areas/conditions?

Found a glowing tree stump in a swamp one night (not recommended, especially when coming back from the pub) and found the mycelium of another glows in the dark whilst nicking peat under the cover of darkness :ninja:

Reaction score
I've never witnessed something like this. There's something weirdly beautiful about the way fungus grows. The word itself puts a bad taste in my mouth, but I find little mushrooms and such to be so cute.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh that's very cool! I have all sorts of fungi growing around and on trees here; I wonder if any of it has survived our recent freezes? I'll go check when it gets light.
Haven't noticed any of it glowing in the dark though.

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
@zigs what a lovely surprise for November. I have seen fungus growing like that before but have never paid much attention to it. Your picture really makes it look so cool but I must agree with alexiskilgannon, it does put a weird taste in my mouth not to mention it creeps me out.

I

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
This Lime Green Acacia is NOT looking good in November. It was knocked off scew when the tree was felled so I hammered in the stake and straightened it. Not such a good idea. It's certainly not lime green now, perhaps it is trying to compete with the northern hemisphere autumnal colours:cool: I have bought another to replace it but size wise I will have a few years wait. Thats the new one in the front.
1447452677362.jpg
[ATT

Attachments

• 1447452617303.jpg
    1447452617303.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 290
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@DeborahJane , sorry about your Acacia. :(
Even though we've had a few frosts and light freezes, I still have some petunias hanging in there. I don't want to clean up my little flower boxes as long as they're bravely soldiering on!
petunia and gnome.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
@DeborahJane , sorry about your Acacia. :(
Even though we've had a few frosts and light freezes, I still have some petunias hanging in there. I don't want to clean up my little flower boxes as long as they're bravely soldiering on!
View attachment 9796
I have the tune of the.... "The lonely little petunia in the onion patch....the onion patch...the onion patch" :whistle: right now. It's doing a wonderful job, isn't it?:)

Last edited:

Ask a Question