What weed am I dealing with here?

Reaction score
Hello all.

As you can see in the picture below, I have some type of weed growing in my lawn. Over the past month or so, these have been popping up all over my yard. In total, I've probably pulled up as many as 50-100 of these. Do you have any idea what this is and if there is a treatment for it (besides pulling them up)? Thanks!

photo (3).JPG

Reaction score
Almost looks like American Pokeweed, where I'm from we call it Poke Salad. I never seen them grow randomly in a yard though especially one that is maintained. I usually see them under a tree(s). .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Almost looks like American Pokeweed, where I'm from we call it Poke Salad. I never seen them grow randomly in a yard though especially one that is maintained. I usually see them under a tree(s). .
I'm not so sure it is a weed. It has rather large leaves for a weed that small. Are there any bushes or trees in the neighborhood with these leaves?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It does look alot like pokeweed but from the angle of the pic its hard to tell what the stems really look like. How big does pokeweed have to be before the stems change color. All of the ones I have seen are a shade of reddish purpleish maroonish color.

Reaction score
It does look alot like pokeweed but from the angle of the pic its hard to tell what the stems really look like. How big does pokeweed have to be before the stems change color. All of the ones I have seen are a shade of reddish purpleish maroonish color.

At the height in the picture, basing it on the clover growing next to it, the stem would be green. It will begin transitioning toward the purple as it grows. The plant is poisonous, though I've eaten my share when prepared by my grandmother, so I would remove it.

Hello all.

As you can see in the picture below, I have some type of weed growing in my lawn. Over the past month or so, these have been popping up all over my yard. In total, I've probably pulled up as many as 50-100 of these. Do you have any idea what this is and if there is a treatment for it (besides pulling them up)? Thanks!

View attachment 3161

As to treating it, I generally use Round Up or some other form of herbicide.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
At the height in the picture, basing it on the clover growing next to it, the stem would be green. It will begin transitioning toward the purple as it grows. The plant is poisonous, though I've eaten my share when prepared by my grandmother, so I would remove it.

As to treating it, I generally use Round Up or some other form of herbicide.
Does it come back from the roots like poison ivy? If not will burning it back kill it?

Reaction score
I'm not so sure that its pokeweed. There are a lot of plants that look like that so identifying it would be tricky until it grows more or it blooms.

Reaction score
Looks like a sapling made from a tree. It kind of looks like pokeweed, but I would say it is not. You should let them grow and thrive. Maybe they will grow into a magic bean stalk.

Reaction score
It looks to be Pokeweed. HIGHLY poisonous if. Make sure to keep children and pets away. You can dig it up and put it in your trash can, but that doesn't ensure getting all the roots. Round Up will kill it all the way down to the roots.

Ask a Question