What variety of Sunflower?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
This year I have many sunflowers planted by birds and squirrels being messy eaters at the feeders and retaining wall. 99% are from black oil seeds, but This one is different. Yellow/orange petals, dark center. Currently about 4 ft. tall, and over 20 flower heads. Keeping seeds from this will be difficult as the local goldfinches seem to prefer this plant than the feeders. Any Idea on the Variety? DSCF1568.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is a nice sunflower. There are so many strains of Sunflower (Helianthus annuus), and of course new crosses occur all the time due to random cross-pollination. If this is a bird-sown seed it may very-well be a spontaneous cross between different strains, and now it might be the parent of your own personal seed line.

The flower reminds a bit of 'Procut Orange' and also 'Lemon Queen'. 'Lemon Queen' is a paler yellow, but it could be involved in the parentage. This is just speculation, no practical way of knowing.

The Lesser Goldfinches (Spinus psaltria) in my garden, nibble away at my sunflowers' leaves, which reduces the size and number of the heads. If they could only wait there might be more seeds for them later.

Last edited:

Ask a Question