help: we need to pick what tomato variety to grow

Reaction score
Country
United States
We live in Myrtle Beach SC, about half a mile from the beach (zone 8 b) and were thinking of planting around 100/200 plants, half in raised beds, and half in containers.
We were thinking of following as guidelines two of TomatoFest's collections (for our climate and container gardening) but we chose too many and now we need help reducing the number to 7/8 packs.
Which ones should we pick?

Anahu
Arkansas Marvel
Atkinson
Chocolate Stripes
Homestead 24
Mortgage Lifter, Radiator Charlie's
Principe Borghese
New Big Dwarf
Kewalo
Gold Nugget Cherry
Bush Beefsteak

Thank you!
Tom

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have found that the earlier the temps rise to 90+ the smaller the tomato variety should be. When daytime temps are high large tomatoes do not grow as large nor do they produce as many. Some on your list are 1-2 lb tomatoes. Also, tomatoes only set fruit reliably between about 66F- 74F NIGHTTIME LOW TEMPERATURES. Large fruited tomatoes take more time to reach full size and in most places it has already become to hot in the daytime for them to reach full size. Mid-size tomatoes will set fruit longer than large tomatoes, salad size tomatoes longer than mid- size and cherry tomatoes will set fruit all summer in most places. I gave up trying to grow my favorite tomato, the Brandywine, because in my climate it became too hot too soon for them to set enough fruit and to grow to their normal size. Also the variety should reflect whether it be early, mid, or late season. I am also in 8b but this number only reflects first frost dates and is basically useless when growing spring tomatoes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have found that the earlier the temps rise to 90+ the smaller the tomato variety should be. When daytime temps are high large tomatoes do not grow as large nor do they produce as many. Some on your list are 1-2 lb tomatoes. Also, tomatoes only set fruit reliably between about 66F- 74F NIGHTTIME LOW TEMPERATURES. Large fruited tomatoes take more time to reach full size and in most places it has already become to hot in the daytime for them to reach full size. Mid-size tomatoes will set fruit longer than large tomatoes, salad size tomatoes longer than mid- size and cherry tomatoes will set fruit all summer in most places. I gave up trying to grow my favorite tomato, the Brandywine, because in my climate it became too hot too soon for them to set enough fruit and to grow to their normal size. Also the variety should reflect whether it be early, mid, or late season. I am also in 8b but this number only reflects first frost dates and is basically useless when growing spring tomatoes.
So .. what would you recommend for me ? what would you keep and what would you drop from that list ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So .. what would you recommend for me ? what would you keep and what would you drop from that list ?
I am not familiar with most on that list. I would drop any that grow larger than 10 oz and/or that are late season varieties. I don't know what your temps usually are but that's what I'd do here.

CAP

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's some interesting varieties ya got there. I've grown several of these but never heard of several as well and since i'm bored and finished deciding on my tomatoes i looked into some of your varieties. I would think these would be a safe bet in your area. I'd like to try Arkansas marvel sometime myself and would pick it for your 8th variety.
Good luck and happy growing!

Anahu
Atkinson
Chocolate Stripes
Homestead 24
Principe Borghese
Kewalo
Gold Nugget Cherry

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
After a few years one can choose the best type to grow. Even with good choices weather is the final arbitrator. Some years I get more than needed with about 20 plants. Other years they are a bust.

I choose common types for insurance and tend to grow the dark ones for variety usually Black Krim. I also grow a yellow one Lemon Boy. Often I grow from seed or buy healthy plants from a suppler.

Ask a Question