What type of lettuce?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I'm a fan of curly lettuce. I saved seeds from one that appeared in a mix last year, thought I had planted lots more but only have one.
15818144550674526157749041730948.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Might have to try that again, it's warming up here! Hopefully I get some Romain before it gets too warm. Iceberg was a total loss this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Might have to try that again, it's warming up here! Hopefully I get some Romain before it gets too warm. Iceberg was a total loss this year.
35366684-8B76-42EC-B4E7-8DC42EBF7D50.jpeg

I took out my buttercrunch and red sails Lettuce about a week and a half ago. Photo is from much earlier in March. I just harvested the lower leaves as needed instead of digging up whole heads until the very end. Some hot weather started the buttercrunch on the path to bolting.

I’m just a few miles from the gulf on the edge of zone 9a/b. Warms up pretty quickly here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My lovely bride and I planted some lettuce years ago and to this day do not remember what it was called. It was like velvet though!! It was the tastiest lettuce I have EVER had and we were able to trim it at the base with a scissors and let it grow some more for another round. Anyone have any ideas of what kind of lettuce is velvety and I think it also had some redness to the leaves as well.

We would love to try some Romaine. We live in southern California in a very hot desert climate so not sure if Romaine would survive.

Thoughts?

Mike

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I would only plant one that gives ultimate nutritional value. certainly not Ice burg (don't even buy the stuff) Romaine is better nutritionally for you all around.
I think supermarket iceberg lettuce is only so poor because of the way it's grown; I've grown iceberg lettuce in the ground & although not the best, it was very nice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I think supermarket iceberg lettuce is only so poor because of the way it's grown; I've grown iceberg lettuce in the ground & although not the best, it was very nice.
agree, I never buy iceberg lettuce. A simple nutrition comparison of it with Romaine is a no brainer.

Ask a Question