What type of lettuce?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
What type of lettuce do you like to plant?
Our family prefers Black Seeded Simpson. The small lettuce leaves can be harvested very early.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Paris Island Cos: sweet and tasty
Little gem. also a Cos but in miniature, I eat most salads in the house, and they are a good portion for one.
Lollo Rosso - Nice flavour soft texture adds colour

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Lollo Rosso as they don't get eaten by slugs much.

Mizuna for overwintering as it can survive under snow :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I love the taste and texture. Not that overly concerned with nutrition of it. Anything that comes from the ground is way better than from a box. Even more if it's from the ground in your back yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Red leaf lettuce is growing good for me this year in 1 gallon pots...nutritious too!
15803580221975896340402381877314.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 10a
Country
Cyprus
The seed packet reads lettuce cos type, but the lettuce in the thumbnail, which I grew near the end of the video resembles a different type like Iceberg or something similar. I wonder if it's possible that the seats got mixed up when they were packaged?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
We like a mix of lettuce leaves, along with spinach and kale. No iceberg, though - it has no flavor.

20200129_141715.jpg
Current growing a mix from our local seed place in a southern window. It's looking fabulous :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We like a mix of lettuce leaves, along with spinach and kale. No iceberg, though - it has no flavor.

View attachment 61108
Current growing a mix from our local seed place in a southern window. It's looking fabulous :)
I've often wondered about people that say it has no flavor. To me it has a good flavor and great texture. Not at hold as some types, but definitely flavor.

I do like spinach, but I have not had good luck growing it. Not sure why. I really like a salad with iceberg and spinach mix.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I've often wondered about people that say it has no flavor. To me it has a good flavor and great texture. Not at hold as some types, but definitely flavor.

I do like spinach, but I have not had good luck growing it. Not sure why. I really like a salad with iceberg and spinach mix.

Spinach is tricky. I've always had issues getting it started and keeping it alive. Right now in that mix there's only one spinach sprout, although the seeds were a little dated and not from our normal source. Everything else looks good, though.

To each his own on the flavors - everyone is different!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Tricky produce is kind of off my list for now. Maybe when I retire I can spend more time in the garden. I'll try growing just about anything, but if it's too time consuming it won't be coming back. I have a hard time with most lettuce varieties. Last year did well with iceberg and had four or five decent heads, if a little small. This year I think I'm out of luck. It will soon be to hot and sunny for it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Romaine not doing so well but iceberg and red leaf types are still on track in gallon pots in my CA greenhouse .
1581812384840317839469892373551.jpg

Ask a Question