What to plant on a steep embankment

Reaction score
Good Day! I have a tall rock wall with a steep embankment above it, around 1,200 square feet in direct sun light. I’m looking to plant something not too expensive that doesn’t require any maintenance and retains the newly put soil and was looking for some suggestions. I need to do something quickly because the darn weeds are already coming through it. : ) Thanks! Kindest Regards, Andréa

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Information about your climate, including your USDA hardiness zone would have been useful. Of course, photographs of the planting site would also have been of great benefit.

A steep embankment, on top of tall stone wall no less, sounds like a perilous place to landscape. Plants that could grow from cast seed would be an easy solution. also such a site might well benefit from terracing.

It would be interesting to know what 'weeds' are already growing on the embankment and the wall. The crevices of a stone wall can sometimes be an interesting location to plant rockery plants.

Ask a Question