What Plants are Characteristic or Associated with Your Area?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Spring time in my are you will see phlox subulata growing in most yards.

upload_2016-1-20_16-26-3.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
Palms and other tropical plants. We have about 75 different species of palms that can successfully be grown here, maybe as many as 100 different species, plus we have Royal Poincianas, Orchid Trees, Sea Grapes, Scheffleras, Ficus, lots of Hibiscus and Bougainvilleas, Mangoes, Papayas, Avocadoes, Citrus, etc. here. It is almost a tropical paradise. You could call us the Texas Tropics and we are on the Tropical Trail here in Texas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
Popular trees here are mango trees, coconut trees, guava trees and banana trees. These are all tropical fruit of which the mango is my favourite followed by guava.

Popular floral plants are bougainvillea, the desert rose, orchids and ginger lilies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
Popular trees here are mango trees, coconut trees, guava trees and banana trees. These are all tropical fruit of which the mango is my favourite followed by guava.

Popular floral plants are bougainvillea, the desert rose, orchids and ginger lilies.
Hi Caribbean Girl

Where do you live? I bet you can grow all the things I listed a lot better and bigger where you live, especially my favorite plant, the Coconut Palm.

John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Our village is dotted with narra trees. The narra is a hardwood that is the national tree of the Philippines. During summer, the tree bears yellow flower which gives the tree a bright attractive color. And when the flowers fall on the ground, the yellow color gives the place a nice landscape.

Reaction score
The Cherry Tree is a kind of tree that is associated in Korea...That is why we had this Cherry Blossom Festival when the flowers of this tree are in season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
Our village is dotted with narra trees. The narra is a hardwood that is the national tree of the Philippines. During summer, the tree bears yellow flower which gives the tree a bright attractive color. And when the flowers fall on the ground, the yellow color gives the place a nice landscape.
Corzhens,

I bet your islands are a really beautiful place to live. Could you post a photo of one of those trees?

Thanks,
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Corzhens,

I bet your islands are a really beautiful place to live. Could you post a photo of one of those trees?

Thanks,
John

This is the only photo of the Narra tree that I can find in my archive for now. It was taken during a wedding where our car was parked in the church's compound. What was being shot was the yellow flowers that were falling from the tree, they look like confetti that are adorning the ground. It's a sight to behold when narra trees by the roadside would shed a lot of flowers, leaving the road in that yellow-orange landscape.
PDVD_015 narra.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
This is the only photo of the Narra tree that I can find in my archive for now. It was taken during a wedding where our car was parked in the church's compound. What was being shot was the yellow flowers that were falling from the tree, they look like confetti that are adorning the ground. It's a sight to behold when narra trees by the roadside would shed a lot of flowers, leaving the road in that yellow-orange landscape. View attachment 11102
Wow, that's a nice big tree. I bet when it is in bloom it is beautiful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Wow, that's a nice big tree. I bet when it is in bloom it is beautiful.

The narra is actually a big tree but it can only grow to a majestic size after about 30 years. A narra tree that is 10 years old has a girth of less than a foot in diameter and although it is tall but the branches look small. That is the reason why it is a hard wood because it grows slowly. It is the national tree of the Philippines for its hard wood and not because of the cute orangy flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
The narra is actually a big tree but it can only grow to a majestic size after about 30 years. A narra tree that is 10 years old has a girth of less than a foot in diameter and although it is tall but the branches look small. That is the reason why it is a hard wood because it grows slowly. It is the national tree of the Philippines for its hard wood and not because of the cute orangy flowers.
Thanks for the description of your national tree.

Ask a Question