What Plants are Characteristic or Associated with Your Area?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Inspired by fuumarumota's (aka Fedrico) welcome thread what plants are characteristic (or famously) associated with your area? I'll go first.

Oranges - Citrus
Avocados
Pointsettias

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Around here, we have a lot of prairie plants. Here's a few I often see in the wild, with photos I've taken of them in the wild.

Black-eyed Susans
IMG_1430 copy1.jpg

Orange Milkweed
DSCN5745.png

Gray-headed Coneflowers
IMG_5238 copy1.jpg

One of the most popular wild fruits are Wild Strawberries. Smaller than store-bought varieties, but they've got the best flavor.
IMG_1349 copy.jpg

IMG_1380 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I was not familiar with Cheddar Pink so I looked it up. As soon as I saw the picture I thought Dianthus, It's a pretty little flower. I love to grow dianthus, carnations, sweet william...

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Dianthus, that's the word I was looking for, kept getting stuck at caryophyllacea in me head :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
Here in the center of the country (Ags, Mexico): Acacias (thorny trees and bushes), Bouganvilleas, Aloe Vera, guava trees, wild orange trees (in fact these are used as street vegetation / adornment) and other plants that like semi arid climate.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
The Avenue of Oaks that run from the old manor house to the gate entrance where my old caravan sit's, is something special to me. On the summer solstice, the sun sets dead in line with them is something pretty special to me & to everyone who is sober and up to see it hehe:) but also the Snow drops are everywhere round me now growing wild in spring we get Primroses & bluebell's in summer we get Mallow's, like the common & the mash mallow plus the musk mallow I also like to spot great mulleins & we have plenty of wild Samphire in the old oyster beds along the river which i go visit with my handy pruning gear to fill my apatite for my dinner sometimes. That also goes for sea beat (some people call it sea spinach) Lords and ladies are a fantastic wild plant to although don't eat it as it is vary toxic to us mear humans But still a looker to admire here is the avenue of oaks and a pic of the sun set plus my bluebells I love so much
147.JPG
156.JPG
087.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Inspired by fuumarumota's (aka Fedrico) welcome thread what plants are characteristic (or famously) associated with your area? I'll go first.

Oranges - Citrus
Avocados
Pointsettias

My area's native tree species include various species of pine, spruce, maple, and oak, as well as one of my favorites which is the Red Bud tree. Native flowering plants in my area include irises, trillium, dogwood, black-eyed susans, and chicory. Also, we have the ever-present dandelion that pops up in everyone's lawns as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Oh, I only just saw your post - I posted a similar thread today but yours was first -- I apologize for that!

Locally here I would say the characteristic plants would be bonsai and cherry blossoms - that's unique to Japan, anyway!

When I lived in California I would say redwood trees (so majestic!) and when I lived in Australia I would say wattles and eucalyptus!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Serbia
My region in Serbia is known for sour cherries, raspberries, peppers. However, Serbia in general is known for plums and I have also noticed recently for currants, blueberries, etc. Last time I checked we also had good export of apples, pears, apricots and peaches.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
cereal: corn, wheat, rice
Vegetables: cauliflower, cabbage, tomato, beans
Fruits: mangoes guava, pears,

Ask a Question