What is wrong with my roses? need some advice

Reaction score
Country
Cyprus
Hello to all,
I have a couple of roses in my garden that are giving me troubles. I am trying to recover them and i need some advice.
I am at zone 10.
These 2 roses get sunshine almost all day long, and i am not sure what is going on.
Am i overwatering? low watering? some infection?
The red rose i bought this year. I planted it 2 months ago and its struggling.
any ideas??
forgot to mention: i gave them some slow release ferilizer made for roses a week ago.

rose - Copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The white one looks like it has an iron deficiency. The yellowing leaves with green veins is typical for this.
How often do they get watered?
Are they hand-watered or is there an irrigation system?
How much fertilizer did you use and how much does the package say to use? It hasn't been long enough for this to be a problem now, but later it might be.
What has your weather been like? Hotter than normal? Cooler winter and spring?

Reaction score
Country
Cyprus
The white/yellow is an old rose that i am trying to recover for some time now. I gave it iron a couple of times, monthly ( one table spoon in 10 litters of water). its still not growing and deteriorates. It does not create new shoots. and the little growth it has, its tiny. Behind the camera there is another rose that was planted the same time as the yellow 2-3 years ago, and its 10 times the size!

I hand water them twice a week , sometimes 3 times.
Rose fertilizer was recently added, a week ago. The recommended dose was 60ml. I gave them 50ml each .
weather is hot. 30-36 celcius . soon we will be reaching 40C. Arround Normal season conditions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Unless your soil is clay, give them a REALLY good soak when you water them. Where you are it would be hard to overwater them unless your soil IS clay or you water every day.

Reaction score
Country
Cyprus
Unless your soil is clay, give them a REALLY good soak when you water them. Where you are it would be hard to overwater them unless your soil IS clay or you water every day.
my soil is rich in clay, heavy reddish color./

Dont know if it matters, but when i planted them and made the hole, i mixed composite, perlite, and the native soil .

I also used pine bark for mulch! Is this a mistake?????

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
No, that's great stuff.
Was the fertilizer a dry one or a liquid?
One thing you can try is a layer of alfalfa pellets along with the bark. There are hormones in the alfalfa that the rose can absorb that will help stimulate growth.

Reaction score
Country
Cyprus
No, that's great stuff.
Was the fertilizer a dry one or a liquid?
One thing you can try is a layer of alfalfa pellets along with the bark. There are hormones in the alfalfa that the rose can absorb that will help stimulate growth.

fertilizer is dry, like small pellets which is slow release.

I dont think there is alfalfa available where i live :( is there anything else that will stimulate growth??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That's the best one, but there are various 'teas' made of comfrey, bananas, compost manure and such. They are good ways to get organic nutrients into the soil with little danger of overdosing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
C. Carbon
H. Hydrogen
O. Oxygen
P. Phosphorus
K. Potassium
I. Iodine
N. Nitrogen
S. Sulphur
Mg. Magnesium
Ca. Calcium
Fe. Iron
Mn. Manganese
Cu. Copper
Zn. Zinc
Cl. Chlorine
B. Boron​

Reaction score
Country
Cyprus
C. Carbon
H. Hydrogen
O. Oxygen
P. Phosphorus
K. Potassium
I. Iodine
N. Nitrogen
S. Sulphur
Mg. Magnesium
Ca. Calcium
Fe. Iron
Mn. Manganese
Cu. Copper
Zn. Zinc
Cl. Chlorine
B. Boron​

oh wow..

emm, if i use this MANURE will it help? this is the only organic i could find.

ps. how to you apply manure, and when!? !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes, manure can help. There should be some kind of instructions on the bag. If not, a 1/2" layer out to the edge of the branches is good. Water it in thoroughly immediately after putting it down.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello to all,
I have a couple of roses in my garden that are giving me troubles. I am trying to recover them and i need some advice.
I am at zone 10.
These 2 roses get sunshine almost all day long, and i am not sure what is going on.
Am i overwatering? low watering? some infection?
The red rose i bought this year. I planted it 2 months ago and its struggling.
any ideas??
forgot to mention: i gave them some slow release ferilizer made for roses a week ago.

View attachment 98451
Looks like the white rose is suffering from chlorosis: ” Possible causes of chlorosis include poor drainage, damaged roots, compacted roots, high alkalinity, and nutrient deficiencies in the plant. Nutrient deficiencies may occur because there is an insufficient amount in the soil or because the nutrients are unavailable due to a high pH (alkaline soil). Or the nutrients may not be absorbed due to injured roots or poor root growth.”

Read through this and see if it helps: https://www.gardenerbasics.com/blog... best way to fix,larger branches of the roses.

Also: Did you know that banana peels are good for roses? Just chop the peels a bit and add them to your roses.

Maybe you need to try different, more disease-resistant roses. I have two rose bushes I neglect utterly and they thrive, year after year ---- even with severe drought. (Zone 10a).

Reaction score
Country
United States
I see this a lot and it's a common mistake. You planted an acidic-loving plant in alkaline soil. the result is a plant with Iron chlorosis. When you mix alkaline soil with alkaline tap water you get iron chloroses fast in a couple of months. It doesn't matter how much iron is in the soil if the pH doesn't have the acid to solventise the iron it will get locked out and that's whats happened here.

Reaction score
Country
Cyprus
Well,
forget manure, wont be using it.

The white/yellow rose i think will be replaced at the end of this season. I dont see any way of fixing it. Its the Soil. I think you are right. I have a clay soil.

The red one i planted this season. when i opened the hole i added composite and perlite to improve drainage. I see that its not doing well. Never asked any info about the rose and its desease-resistance. i bought it from a farm, there was nobody that had this knowledge.

This is the main reason why i started learning about propagation with cuttings. I have a couple of roses that are thriving in my soil, so i am trying to make new plants out of those. I watch and read everything i can find about cuttings. So far i fail miserably with severe rot.
will continue experimenting...

Ask a Question