What is this plant?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, new to forum, zone 7 in coastal RI, USA. This shrubby weed has been growing as the understory in a wooded section of our back yard for many years. It is deciduous, reaches about 6' high on average, but, as seen in the photos, will grow much taller if undisturbed. Notice the somewhat unusual branching configuration.

Looking for help to i.d. it. Could this be poison sumac?

Attachments

• IMG_0896.JPG
    IMG_0896.JPG
    283.4 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0897.JPG
    IMG_0897.JPG
    294.2 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0898.JPG
    IMG_0898.JPG
    252.6 KB · Views: 160
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks both for the responses. This question comes up because, about 3 weeks ago, I cleared out another section of this bush along with some other stuff and a couple of days later developed a rash that looked like poison ivy or suchlike. I am usually very careful around that invader, being somewhat allergic. Lived here 40+ years and never knew what the bush in question was, but thought to ask in case it was poisonous.

Mrsclem- I think it does have flowers as you describe, never paid a lot of attention to it, and there is various other wild greenery that flowers in that patch of woods.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I’m going to guess it’s a Privet. They are highly invasive and the trunks are multi stemmed as in the picture. If it is Privet, make it your new favorite plant because you aren’t going to get rid of it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks all for the responses.

As mentioned, these bushes have been growing in this area for over 40 years, and of course, like all plants, do their best to grow larger and reproduce. That said, it hasn't been too hard to keep them in check. I asked my opening question just in case they are poisonous and by some miracle I had not been affected in previous encounters.

Now if I can just stay ahead of the oxalis and speedwell that wish to take over our gardens!

Ask a Question