Pumpkin plant leaf edges yellowing

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently planted some pumpkins in mid to late June. I live in the southwest so it was already super hot here. They were doing great until about a week or so ago when I noticed the edges of the plant were turning yellow. Their growth also appears stalled. The pink bucket has sugar smalls, and the red is jack o lanterns. Both were planted in miracle grow soil. For comparison the black bucket has big moons and they are doing great, however they were planted in mystery soil. It came with the house in the container when I moved it. So it's just the pink bucket and the red bucket that are having trouble.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @Megalodon and welcome to the forums. Chuck is super knowledgeable and gives up lots of his time to help. May I suggest that you go to the top of the page and click on ''Search'' by member Chuck. There you will find a whole lot of valuable information.
Your photos are great - it's always good to see just what's going on. :happy:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Will someone out there please explain about Miracle Grow stuff. I am tired of doing it.

Genuine question, but what's wrong with it? This is my first time with planting these sort of plants. I seriously want some decent pumpkins come october.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Genuine question, but what's wrong with it? This is my first time with planting these sort of plants. I seriously want some decent pumpkins come october.
Just look at the plants in MG as compared to the other. Chemical fertilizers ONLY feed the plant and many times stop the uptake of minerals the plant needs. Chemical fertilizers also destroy the organic matter in the soil over time. That stuff in the picture has chemical fertilizer in it plus it has other chemicals that the manufacturer claims to stop over and under watering. That is why your plants in the MG are chlorotic or turning yellow. They are chlorotic because of a lack of or an inability to uptake nutrients. You plants in the MG are also either under or over watered. Probably overwatered as shown by the browning leaf margins and brown curled leaves. Also, you should separate the plants as there are WAY too many and they are WAY too close together. My advice if you are going to continue to grow in containers is to get some good potting soil and organic fertilizer and put no more than 2 plants in a large container

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just look at the plants in MG as compared to the other. Chemical fertilizers ONLY feed the plant and many times stop the uptake of minerals the plant needs. Chemical fertilizers also destroy the organic matter in the soil over time. That stuff in the picture has chemical fertilizer in it plus it has other chemicals that the manufacturer claims to stop over and under watering. That is why your plants in the MG are chlorotic or turning yellow. They are chlorotic because of a lack of or an inability to uptake nutrients. You plants in the MG are also either under or over watered. Probably overwatered as shown by the browning leaf margins and brown curled leaves. Also, you should separate the plants as there are WAY too many and they are WAY too close together. My advice if you are going to continue to grow in containers is to get some good potting soil and organic fertilizer and put no more than 2 plants in a large container

So can I just transplant them to other soil or should I just scrap them and start over?

How do I fix this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So can I just transplant them to other soil or should I just scrap them and start over?

How do I fix this?
You are getting late in the year to start pumpkins so make do with what you have. If you are going to grow in containers go to a REAL nursery, not a big box store, and ask for the best ORGANIC potting soil that they have. Also, get a bag of ORGANIC fertilizer. Organic fertilizer is all good, some better than others. On the red and pink containers GENTLY remove by digging them out the 3 strongest best looking plants from each container. You can repot all of them if you like but you will need more large containers if you do. Throw away that MG garbage and wash out the containers thoroughly. Fill to about an inch from the top with the new potting soil and transplant your seedlings into the new soil. When the plants have another set of leaves fertilize at 1/2 the rate of the instructions. Then in 2 weeks fertilize again at full strength. In the black container just remove all but the 3 best plants and fertilize full strength.

Ask a Question