Unknown Pumpkin -- I think...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I got this pumpkin not long after Halloween, but never seen one like it, so wondering if any one can ID it?

BTW, I'm not sure if this is typical, but I've had this thing on the very moist ground since I got it and it is not showing any signs of decay on the bottom of it. I'm thinking of breaking it open, once it warms up and allow the seeds to germinate. Is that a good idea?

Its specs:
Height: 7 inches (17-3/4 cm)
Circumference: 42 inches (106.7 cm)
Weight: 17 lbs (7-3/4 kg)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't think this is a pumpkin although pumpkins and squash are sometimes called pumpkins and vice versa. I think this is an old heirloom winter squash or possibly a gourd. I believe this because of the warting and of the different colors. I would save the seeds but in truth I don't think it is mature enough for the seeds to be viable. There are many types of ornamental gourds and squash that look similar.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've been watching videos of various pumpkins, squashes and gourds. Still haven't found a match, but haven't seen them all yet.

I'll hold off on breaking it open for the seeds.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is One Too Many Pumpkin (Cucurbita x 'One Too Many').
Some sources list this as a cultivar of Cucurbita maxima, but Rupp Seed of Ohio claims it to be a hybrid cross of their own making.
The cultivar name is supposedly a reference to the Pumpkin looking like a giant bloodshot eyeball!

Ask a Question