What is this pest?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've recently noticed that my citrus tree (limonella, to be exact) is dropping leaves and some of them are covered in a substance resembling honeydew.
I'm spraying the tree with neem oil, but it doesn't work. Do you have an idea what pest is this and how to manage it?

20230914_165340.jpg

20230914_165336.jpg

20230914_165318.jpg
20230914_165308.jpg

I think it may be a kind of scale, but I'm not sure.
I'd be grateful for any help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like woolly aphids to me. Wash them off with soapy water. No need to panic :)
As an afterthought, if you wash the whole plant off, using a soft bristle brush regularly each day for a week, it should clear them altogether. It's always best to avoid poisons.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Looks like woolly aphids to me. Wash them off with soapy water. No need to panic :)
As an afterthought, if you wash the whole plant off, using a soft bristle brush regularly each day for a week, it should clear them altogether. It's always best to avoid poisons.
Thank you

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't even see them. Tetters must have the eyes of a hawk.
My eyes actually only really work if I have my glasses on :giggle: If you look at the bottom picture, lowest leaf, you can see one of them, and the shape is a giveaway. There are three showing on the first picture on the left side leaf, and all the pictures show the white sticky residue they leave behind - which resembles a white mould but is not. All should wash off.
As with all aphids, they will always be a bit of a nuisance, but are an important part of the ecological balance in the garden. They have a purpose, even if only for the solitary bees that lay eggs in their bodies - a bit gruesome for them I guess :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Country
India
Hey! It sounds like your citrus tree might have aphids or scale insects. Neem oil is a good start, but you might also want to introduce ladybugs or lacewings, which are natural predators of these pests. Regularly wiping the affected leaves with a mixture of water and a few drops of dish soap can also help control them. Keep monitoring and treating as needed! 🍋🌿🐞

Ask a Question